Thursday, April 23, 2009

Our Girls' Weekend Away

This past weekend my mom, my sister, Allie and I all road tripped to Wisconsin for my sister's bridal shower. Zach and Ben stayed at home and had a self-proclaimed "Man Weekend" filled with a trip to Como Zoo, bike rides, running a few errands for me, tidying up the house, playing outside, going to church, and enjoying the quiet that is only present when the two female members of our family are away from home.
~
Allie has been anticipating this all girls' weekend getaway for several weeks now. I'm sure the promise of sleeping in her princess blow-up bed, swimming in the hotel pool, going out to eat every day, helping my sister open all of her presents while wearing her fanciest pink dress, and eating copious amounts of bridal shower cake had nothing to do with her uncontainable excitement.
~
We left Friday and arrived at our hotel mid afternoon, leaving more than enough time for all of us girls to head to the local mall for our wedding makeovers. Along with receiving fresh new make up colors for the big day, complete with "sparkles" for Allie's cheeks and eyes, we decided to get our eyebrows threaded.
~
What is eye brow threading? I like my sister's definition best. In response to the same question posed by Allie, my sister responded by telling her, "It's when that lady over there takes that long piece of thread and rips all your eyebrows out." Allie, with a look of sheer terror on her face, quickly made it known that she would not be participating in the eye brow threading. To clarify, the lady did not rip all of anyone's eyebrows out. Yes, the whole procedure was a tad bit uncomfortable, but I'm now the proud honor of perfectly shaped brows with absolutely NO hair in between, above, or below my brow line. For only $10, I have to say, I may have a new addiction.
~
The rest of the evening was spent eating pizza, swimming, purchasing and preparing the rest of the food for the shower the next day, watching some good ole' HGTV and then falling fast asleep.
~
Well, we were all fast asleep until 1:30 am and then Allie woke up to use the bathroom. Although Allie was able to fall asleep quickly after her potty break, I unfortunately was not able to. And, unbeknownst to me, my mom and sister were also laying silently awake until around 3:00 am when my mom rolled over, sighed, and proclaimed that she absolutely could not sleep. I happily welcomed the company and after my sister chimed in that she could not sleep either, we began to have a full-fledged conversation.
~
A conversation about what? I'm not so sure. Remember, it was 3:00 am. All I recall was that there was lots of laughter and complaints about being extremely hungry. We were definitely being loud, probably obnoxious, but Allie continued sleeping soundly through all the ruckus.
~
And, then for some reason, I began re-telling the story when I was pregnant with Allie and I woke up in the middle of the night famished, proceeded to slather peanut butter all over saltine crackers, and devoured them in our dim-lit kitchen only to discover the next morning upon opening that same jar of PB that it was infested and crawling with these tiny microscopic maggoty-looking bug things!
~
Anyway, at the exact moment we were all proclaiming our utter disgust over the bug infested PB, Allie, who we had all presumed to be sound asleep, bolted upright in her princess bed and screamed, "WHEN MOMMY WAS PREG-A-NANT THERE WAS BUGS?! ARE THEY GOING TO GET ME NOW?! OH NO!"
~
After assuring Allie that there were absolutely no bugs in the hotel room, in addition to convincing her that grandma was only joking when she had previously suggested watching a movie because we couldn't sleep (obviously Allie had been awake and listening in to our conversation for some time!), she climbed up into my sister's bed and despite being terrified every time the heater/ac kicked in and the "wind blew on her cheeks," she finally fell asleep. The last time I looked at the clock, it read 4:00 am. And, then, all too soon, it was morning.
~
Even though we were all pretty tired the next day, the bridal shower went off without a hitch. The food was great. It tasted as good as it looked:

Allie was thrilled to celebrate with Aunt Stephanie, the bride-to-be: Allie's favorite part was helping to open the presents: Or maybe it was giving Aunt Stephanie her very own present. She was insistent upon purchasing my sister a hot pad for her wedding shower. After Allie picked out the hot pad, I was able to convince her to pick a matching towel and washcloth too. And, who do you think picked out the gift bag? Stephanie opened a bunny. Allie kissed the bunny: Allie was proud to display the wedding rehearsal bouquet put together by my Aunt and Grandma: And, even though she had very little sleep the night before and had absolutely no nap, this was her demeanor for the duration of the shower: We had a great weekend celebrating with the bride-to-be.

Now, Allie is eagerly anticipating the wedding day when Chris B. will finally become her uncle and, in Allie's words, "He will be ALL MINE!" Hmmm...I wonder if Aunt Stephanie knows she has a little competition!

No comments: