Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Weight-Loss Wednesday

Operation Weight Loss 2009
Week 16 & 17: 4/15 - 4/28
Weight Lost This Week: -3.9 pounds
Weight Lost To Date: -33.2 pounds
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Accomplishments:
Wooohooo! I couldn't be happier! 33.2 pounds of me are completely gone! Every week I am getting closer to my final weight loss goal and it definitely feels like I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. On average, I've been losing about 1.9 pounds per week since I first began Weight Watcher's and exercising daily this past January and I am feelin' awesome!
~
One of the biggest reasons I initially became so serious and diligent about losing weight was because I was concerned about the risks of being overweight. The first major milestone on my way to becoming healthier was losing 10% of my total body weight. Why is 10% the magic number? Well, because upon losing 10% of your total body weight, you greatly reduce your risk of complications associated with being overweight (such as high cholesterol, high blood pressure, diabetes, heart complications, etc).
~
Losing that 10% felt like a huge accomplishment and after reaching that initial goal, it was time to set my next goal: a BMI that is in the "normal" weight range. Although my BMI had not yet reached the dreaded "obese" label, I had been hangin' out in the "overweight" category for quite a while. Definitely longer than I care to admit. So, this week, upon recalculating my BMI and discovering I have finally reached the "normal" weight range, I was ecstatic!
~
However, since I am just barely within the "normal" weight range, I am continuing in my weight loss efforts so that I fall within the middle of the "normal" weight range spectrum.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Improvements:
Yikes...I have fallen back into those nightly snacks again. However, because I have been exercising more (remember those impossible Pilates? And the nice weather has allowed for many more bike rides!) I am actually really hungry by 8:00 pm. We usually eat dinner early (5:00 pm), so I guess it isn't that surprising that I am hungry in the evening, especially if I've been active. The goal for this week, then, is to pick better-for-me snacks in the evening when I am hungry. It is soooo easy to grab that ice cream sandwich, but I know that choice isn't really the best. So, here's to healthier evening snacks (if needed) this week!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Fun Fact of the Week:
Over the past few weeks, there have been several people who I haven't told about my weight loss efforts that have noticed I look different. From our next door neighbor to Zach's nurse at our family doctor, I have gotten puzzled looks and questions that go something like, "Wow, you look really different? Is it your hair? No...that's not right!" Although it feels a bit awkward at first, it has been kind of fun to say in response, "Well, I've lost about 30 pounds...could that be it?"
~
Also, most of my clothes are so baggy that I'm beginning to think I can't get away with wearing some of them much longer. I went through my closet again tonight and purged several more pairs of pants, capris, and shirts. And, now, for the first time EVER in our marriage, Ben's closet is fuller than mine!
~
I tried on the bridesmaid dress for my sister's wedding today so that my mom could measure, pin, and begin alterations. We were both shocked at how ginormous the dress is (it didn't seem so ginormous, though, in early January when I first tried it on!). I guess my weight loss efforts have inadvertently created a lot of extra work for my mom, who will essentially have to "remake" parts of the dress, taking in at least 6 inches at the waist!

1 comment:

Karishma said...

THAT IS SO AMAZING!!!! You give me hope and inspire me to start my own weight loss program!!! I AM WAY, WAY, WAY overweight and was diagnosed with diabetes 7 years ago. I continued to ignore all my health issues and now am experiencing the nastiest form of lethargy and chest pains. I finally graduate from grad school in 8 days!! I'm hoping that I can grow some determination and will power.

Congratulations and keep up the good work, a very proud reader!