Sunday, October 25, 2009

Weekend Recap

Why is it that the weekend always flies by so fast? Friday night until now seems like a blur and I can hardly believe that we will be welcoming Monday again in less than four hours.
~
So, in an effort to record something regarding our weekend's fun before I fall asleep at the keyboard, I am going to incorporate my favorite device: the bulleted list!
~
Here goes:
  • Friday night (let's see, what did we do Friday night...I can hardly remember back that far!) we ran some errands after dinner. Zach had a massive melt down in Half Price Books, but I was able to snag some new-to-me leisure reads and a great cookbook before it was necessary to vacate Zach from the premises.
  • Ben and I watched a movie on Friday night ("The Proposal") after putting the kids to bed. We also indulged in some doughnuts that Ben brought home from a bakery in Austin (where one of his job sites is) that were honestly the best doughnuts I have EVER tasted (however, I'm sure it has nothing to do with the fact that I haven't had a real doughnut in over nine months or the fact that these particular doughnuts are from the same bakery that boasts the creation of Minnesota's biggest doughnuts and that one doughnut is literally the size of a small child's head).
  • Feeling guilty over my doughnut weakness the night before, I got up on Saturday morning and ran 5 miles in 43 minutes...and then I almost passed out.
  • We all headed to Mall of America for a fun family day on Saturday. We spent approximately 45 minutes in the Disney Store (which Allie also refers to as Disney World) where the kids oogled at Cars and Princess paraphernalia while I secretly picked up a few sale items for Christmas presents.
  • We ate lunch at Rainforest Cafe which was a huge hit with the kids. Although Zach had a slight panic attack the first time the lights began to flicker and the rumbles of thunder echoed through the restaurant, he quickly recovered at the sight of the balloon animal guy who came to our table to make the kids balloon animals. Allie also declared over lunch that this was the best vacation she has EVER been on.
  • A visit to MOA would not be complete without a walk through the Lego display and a few rides (thanks to some free ride passes we have been saving).
  • Much thanks to Gap Body who was giving away free cake in honor of Breast Cancer Awareness month. While I shopped the clearance racks, both Allie and Zach sat next to a silk underwear display and stuffed their faces full of vanilla frosted marble cake.
  • Breakfast for dinner on Saturday night was followed by preparations for Sunday School the next morning and a little online research for a birthday present for Allie. The kids were playing so well together that we lost track of time and they didn't even get into bed until an hour past their bedtimes (shocking, considering they woke up early and completely skipped their naps).
  • Ben and I also stayed up past our bedtime watching another movie ("Transformers II"). I'm not so sure the sacrificed sleep was worth viewing one billion explosions in a little over 2 hours.
  • Zach and Allie slept in today and took incredibly long naps! Ben relaxed while watching some football and I started my new book.
  • Allie spent over an hour painting with watercolors tonight. She painted a picture of heaven and wants to make sure I don't throw it away because she is going to give it to Jesus.
  • And, possibly the most miraculous news of the weekend (drumroll, please.......)
    ZACH HAS TINKLED ON THE POTTY NOT ONE, BUT TWO NIGHTS IN A ROW! WAHOOO!!!! Although his enthusiasm for correct potty usage does not quite match the rest of ours (seriously, Allie, Ben, and I were cheering and dancing around the bathroom applauding his actions while he just sat there and stared at us like we were crazed lunatics), he is now willing to pee on command for a jelly bean or mini chocolate. Could this be the beginning of the end for diapers?!

No comments: