Monday, November 30, 2009

Thanksgiving Holiday Recap

It is always difficult to go back to the daily grind after a nice, long, holiday weekend and this past Thanksgiving holiday was no exception!
~
Even though Allie was feeling pretty yucky, we were able to make the best of our time together as a family (especially since sick kids usually sleep in...7:30 a.m. on the digital bedside clock never looked so good!). I even had the opportunity to sneak away to see the new Twilight movie with my sister on Wednesday evening while Ben and my brother-in-law hung out with the kids.
~
Upon our return from the movie, we decided to begin our food indulgences early this year with Minnesota's own self proclaimed largest doughnuts from a bakery in Austin, MN (where one of Ben's job sites is located). The doughnuts, I swear, are at least the size of a small child's head and are some of the best tasting baked goods I've ever had (they even make German Chocolate doughnuts...my favorite cake morphed into a doughnut?! Sublime!). Subsequently, Ben is not allowed to bring any more home.
We had a fantastic and relaxing Thanksgiving Day with my family. While the guys watched the Packers game, the kids played remarkably well together, and the gals helped with some craft preparations for my sister's preschoolers.
~
Dinner was divine...as is always the case when my mom is the one cooking.
And, because I always seem to neglect picture taking on Thanksgiving day, I made sure to snap a few (or encourage Ben to) so the day was well documented.

We were able to spend plenty of time at home watching movies and decorating the house for Christmas on Friday. We even had our first Christmas light viewing excursion on Friday evening.
~
With Allie's fever finally down, we took the opportunity on Saturday morning to get out of the house to do some Christmas shopping and go out for lunch. Allie's birthday money was also burning a hole in her pocket, so she picked out a few things of her own to purchase (a carriage and horse for her new Princess dolls, a few coloring books, and a Mulan Princess doll to join her other Princesses). Allie was a bit distraught that she actually had to give the cashier her money in exchange for the items she chose...apparently she thought she could keep both the money and the merchandise!
~
Unfortunately, by the time we arrived back home early Saturday afternoon we noticed Zach was not looking good. The thermometer reading of 102 degrees proved that he was indeed beginning to feel crummy. So, we took the rest of the day to relax at home. Ben and I even wrapped all the Christmas presents after the kids went to bed that evening and placed them under the tree.
~
Sunday was mostly spent at home with the exception of Allie and my short girls' shopping escapade where I was able to purchase some new running shoes (which I LOVE! I ran this morning with absolutely NO knee pain!) and some small Christmas gifts for her preschool teachers.
~
If the duration of Allie's fever last week is any indication of what Zach's will be, it looks like we will be spending the remainder of the week at home. Although it is difficult for me to slow down, I've been trying my best to come up with fun things to do around the house. So far, we've painted, made play-dough, watched Christmas movies, colored, read lots of books, built choo-choo tracks, and had our first attempt at creating shrinky-dink Christmas ornaments. I was hoping to make some Christmas cookies too, but am thinking it may be better to wait until all coughing and hacking are a bit more under control. Any other suggestions are definitely welcome!
~
I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving!

No comments: