Wednesday, December 16, 2009

"Food Jags"

So, is it just me or does anyone else go through what I will hereto for label a "food jag?"

Since I began my weight loss effort last January, I've realized that there are certain foods I eat over and over again for a fairly long period of time. I not only crave the taste of whatever particular item is dominating my present "food jag", but I come to look forward to its appearance on my plate. And then, just as quickly as that particular item became my #1 food, it disappears to make way for the next "food jag."

In the interest of clarification, I will provide you with some of the "food jags" I've gone through over the past few months. Be prepared, some of them are actually kind of weird (so much so that my husband is often relieved when they do finally make their disappearance...well, at least until the next "food jag" shows up and it is even more bizarre than the previous one).

  1. Low-fat, Microwave Popcorn. I think I literally ate popcorn every single day for more than a month.
  2. Low-fat String Cheese. It dominated my breakfast for at least 6 months.
  3. Sweet Potatoes. Yum. I am still currently in the manifestation of this "food jag." I'm actually having one with dinner tonight.
  4. Low-fat Caramel Corn (like Cracker Jacks) or Caramel Corn Rice Cakes. I believe this followed the microwave popcorn infatuation.
  5. Weight Watchers Cherry Cheesecake Yogurt. Still currently consuming 1 every. single. day.
  6. Low-fat Tortilla with ham, low fat cream cheese, and cucumbers. I ate this for lunch for at least a solid month.
  7. Kashi Golden Sunshine cereal mixed with vanilla low-fat yogurt and a banana. This was at least 3 month's worth of breakfasts for me.
  8. Wendy's Chili...still my favorite fast food item.
  9. Salads with apples in them. If I can get a green salad with an apple in it, I'm totally sold...still.
  10. Parmesan Breaded Pork Chops. I think my family is getting sick of this meal. I think I try to work it into the meal plan at least 3 times a month.

Ok, so now that we are all on the same page with the definition of a "food jag," I would like to share with you my newest obsession. Well, I've actually divulged it on the blog before, but I'll take the time to remind you.

PEANUT BUTTER

And, yes, it is completely possible to consume peanut butter and still maintain or even lose weight. Like anything food related, you just can't go completely nutso and consume an entire jar in one sitting (not that I have done that or anything...seriously, I haven't....it is quite entirely possible that I have eaten more than one serving, but I have yet to finish off an entire jar...I said, yet).

So, peanut butter has made it's appearance as my newest "food jag" primarily at breakfast in the form of a Low-fat, high fiber English muffin, topped with peanut butter and bananas. Simply divine. And completely filling. Try it. I never would have thought, but honestly, I don't even think about food again until it is almost time to make lunch. It really does stick with you.

And just when I thought the world of peanut butter could not get any better than Reduced Fat Jif, I spotted an entire row of flavored peanut butters at the grocery store this past week. Thinking that there was no way I could caloricaly (is "caloricaly" even a word?) afford to consume Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter, I reluctantly picked up the jar to check out the nutritional information and discovered....drumroll, please....it has FEWER calories and LESS fat than my beloved Jif. Plus, unlike Jif whose second and third ingredients respectively are corn syrup and sugar, Peanut Butter & Co. Dark Chocolate Dreams variety boasts sweeteners from evaporated cane juice and contains absolutely no high fructose corn syrup.

I was so excited that I grabbed not only their Dark Chocolate Dreams variety, but also their Cinnamon Raisin Swirl blend. It was very difficult for me to turn down their White Chocolate mix, but I did escape with at least an ounce of self control left (I seriously can't wait to finish one of the jars so I can go back and get the white chocolate one!).

I had my first taste test with my English muffin/banana breakfast "food jag" this past Monday and I was stunned. Delicious. Especially the chocolate PB. So, so yummy.

You can visit the Peanut Butter & Co. website by clicking on this sentence.

They actually have a ton of different things to offer (besides peanut butter) and several good recipes too! And, if I ever make it to NYC, I am definitely making a stop at their sandwich shop.

And, here's a comparison of calories, fat, ingredients between Jif Reduced Fat and PB & Co. based on a 2 Tablespoon serving amount:

Jif Reduced Fat

Calories: 190, Calories from Fat: 110, Total Fat: 12 g, Dietary Fiber: 1g, Ingredients: basically peanuts, corn syrup, sugar, and a whole lot of other stuff that I have never heard of including hydrogenated oils which I guess are supposed to be bad.

Peanut Butter & Co Cinnamon Raisin Swirl

Calories: 160, Calories from Fat: 100, Total Fat: 11g, Dietary Fiber: 2g, Ingredients: Peanuts, evaporated cane juice, raisins, cinnamon, palm fruit oil, salt.

Peanut Butter & Co Dark Chocolate Dreams

Calories: 170, Calories from Fat: 110, Total Fat: 13 g, Dietary Fiber: 2g, Ingredients: Peanuts, evaporated cane juice, cocoa, cocoa butter, palm fruit oil, vanilla, lecithin (from sunflowers), salt.

Thanks for letting me share my newest "food jag" with you. Now, come on, let me know what yours are....I can't be the only one, can I??

1 comment:

ella jean said...

for the past 3 years i have consumed on a M-Fday basis: peanut butter toast for breakfast. for lunch, an apple, a yogurt, pretzels or wheat thins, 1 cup of cereal (for the past 5 mos it has been gluten free cinnamon chex mix)and a main dish leftover.