Thursday, December 3, 2009

Operation Weight Maintenance Update

Well, I figure it's probably about time for another weight-maintenance update...especially since I survived Allie's birthday and Thanksgiving and am miraculously still within my desired weight range.
~
The only reason possible for my not gaining weight over the past week must be due to my continued neurotic obsession with the treadmill. I mean, how else can you explain eating a German Chocolate Doughnut the size of a small child's head, snitching several bites of all the other doughnut varieties available, consuming 2 homemade chocolate chip cookies, indulging in way more sweet potatoes than one should ever be allowed to consume in a single sitting, stuffing myself even more full with apple laced corn bread stuffing, and topping it off with a pumpkin pie bar and two very generously portioned homemade apple slices...all within a 24-hour period?
~
I'll tell you how....
~
You arrive home on Thanksgiving night and insanely run 7 miles on your treadmill until you are so sick to your stomach that even the thought of that heavenly pecan-praline topping on the sweet potato souffle makes you want to hurl, your knees are so sore that they feel like they are literally going to split in two, and there is so much sweat pouring off every surface of your body that your husband asks you if you just got out of the shower.
~
Then, you vow that you will never eat that much fat-laden, sugary food ever again because it made you feel so sick and was completely not worth the torture you inflicted upon yourself.
~
But, then you wake up the next day (completely choosing to forget about the previous days' sins) and finish off the rest of Allie's cupcakes before imposing yet another insanely wicked run on the treadmill for continued poor food behavior.
~
It was definitely a rough couple days, but I promise I'm back on the straight and narrow again. It helps that the Thanksgiving leftovers are not at my house and that I have refrained from purchasing anything sugary or laden with carbohydrates...or chocolate...or fat...or cheese...for that matter.
~
I have, however, become a bit bored with my lunchtime routine of a cold-cut sandwich on a sandwich thin, so I purchased these:

Now, I've never been a fan of the all vegetarian, meat-alternative patty (and I'm about the furthest away from a vegetarian as you can become), but these are honestly REALLY GOOD. I topped mine with low fat mozzarella cheese and a little pizza sauce and had an incredibly tasty warm sandwich for lunch. With only 70 calories, 1.5 g of fat, and 3.5 g of fiber, I'm an instant fan of the Boca Bruschetta Veggie Patty.

Also, since I'll always have a love affair with sugar and apparently my newfound obsession with peanut butter is just continuing to intensify, the kids and I made some tasty Double Peanut Cereal Bars today. At first, I thought these wouldn't be that good, but they are really tasty and definitely curb my sweet tooth. So, to end my post, I'll pass the recipe along to you:

Double Peanut Bars

  • 1-1/2 cups Wheaties (I used Fiber One Flakes with Honey Clusters)
  • 1 cup Multi Grain Cheerios
  • 1/2 cup unsalted dry roasted peanuts
  • 1/2 cup chopped dried mixed fruit
  • 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1/3 cup honey
  • 3 tablespoons peanut butter

1. In a bowl, combine the cereals, peanuts, and mixed fruit. In a small saucepan, combine the brown sugar, honey, and peanut butter. Cook and stir until brown sugar and peanut butter are melted and mixture is smooth. Pour over cereal mixture; gently stir to coat evenly.

2. Transfer to an 8-inch square dish coated with cooking spray; gently press down. Cool (I put mine in the fridge because they can get quite sticky) and cut into 12 bars. Store in the refrigerator.

Nutrition Facts: 1 bar = 151 calories, 5 g fat, 2 g fiber, Weight Watchers Points Value = 3

No comments: