Saturday, January 2, 2010

Holiday Recap


Since our holiday celebrations are sadly coming to an end (Ben's last day at home before returning to work is today), I thought it about time to update the blog.
~
Although we haven't been necessarily busy over the past week and have somehow miraculously managed to NOT incur any additional illnesses, we've definitely been having way too much fun for me to have any desire to sit behind my brand spankin' new laptop (definitely an awesome Christmas present--thanks honey!) and sort through all the holiday photos in order to provide an adequate recap of our Christmas festivities.
~
Until now....upon completion of my "To-Do" list for this coming week I realized that I am just not ready for our Christmas break to be over yet...so dwelling on the fun of this past week seems much more appealing to me than actually tackling that overwhelming "To-Do" list (that is overwhelming only because for the past month I have lived my life not thinking remotely past December 25, let alone January 1, 2010).
~
In addition to having Christmas celebrations with both sides of our family, we also enjoyed our time on Christmas Eve celebrating with just the four of us. With the threat of an impending snowstorm (which actually did provide one of the whitest Christmases I've ever experienced), we had fun at home frosting gingerbread cookies, singing Christmas carols, opening presents (and then subsequently trying to figure out how to free all the toys from their plastic jail cells), playing with all the toys, and watching "White Christmas." Ben even took both kids out earlier in the day to play in the freshly fallen snow.
~
This past week we enjoyed lots of time together as a family....going to the Mall of America, running lots of errands, watching movies, spending time with Grandma and Grandpa, going out for pizza, taking down all the Christmas decorations, reading books, playing with all the new toys, etc. We've definitely enjoyed not having many plans and have amazingly kept busy despite the frigid cold temperatures (-15 this morning-actual temperature, not windchill-brrrrr!).
~
We've had lots of dinners and lunches out which has provided a nice break in the kitchen for me. We even survived a meal at Rainforest Cafe where Allie managed to fall out of her chair-landing flat on her back on the floor next to our table-and proceeded to make sure that the entire restaurant and all those inside Mall of America were aware of her predicament. Thankfully we had just put in an order for a Chocolate Volcano and when the waitress brought it to our table less than five minutes after Allie's incident, the splendor of our own personal chocolate brownie mountain filled with caramel and ice cream and topped with a REAL sparkler seemed to provide the instantaneous healing that Allie needed to stay alive.
~
So, Monday marks the beginning of life-as-normal here in our household and I admit, I'm definitelty bummed. (And, it's not just because I realized today that my dear husband has changed every single nasty poopy diaper for well over a week and with his return to work marks my return to toxic waste duty...ok, so maybe that is a big reason.)
~
I've enjoyed the time we've spent together laughing and playing and having fun together as a family. So, for now instead of worrying about all my to-do's, I'm going to sort through all those pictures, remembering how much fun we had over this past week and looking forward to many more weeks just like it to come.





No comments: