Thursday, January 7, 2010

A Long Week

Getting back into the swing of things after a vacation is always an adjustment. Even though we didn't technically travel anywhere, I'm still counting the week as a vacation...mostly because Ben was home from work, I barely cooked a meal, and we stayed in bed until almost 7:30 every morning.
~
When Ben woke me up at 5:45 this past Monday morning so that I could get my morning run in and begin the week on our normal schedule, my entire being was screaming at me to stay in bed. I had absolutely NO desire to open my eyes, let alone run 3 miles, only to come upstairs to feed the kids and tackle the out-of-control laundry heap that I put off doing while we were on "vacation."
~
But, I simply put myself on auto-pilot and somehow made it through the morning, whereupon I must have found some hidden ambition because I thought it a good idea to take both kids to Super Target. However, after somehow managing to lose close to $15 worth of coupons, wiping off Zach's chocolate chip cookie encrusted face with my glove, refusing to purchase an Icee for the kids even though they begged for one through the entire store-insisting that drinking an Icee would in fact warm them up (ummm...I refuse to purchase an icee when the actual temperature outside has not even reached 0 degrees), and practically running Allie over with the cart because I thought she was walking next to me (as opposed to in front of the cart), I determined that beginning a week of normalcy after a vacation should definitely not include a trip to Super Target.
~
That same evening, after using 8 bath-sized towels to mop up the overflowing toilet that was clogged by Allie's use of an entire mega roll of toilet paper to wipe her poopies (because according to her, the poopies just kept coming and coming and so she just had to keep wiping and wiping) and while Ben stood dumbfounded, armed with a plunger and staring blankly at the soggy mess, the only thing I could think was, "How can this ONLY be Monday?"
~
But, Monday it was, and Tuesday inevitably came...filled with preschool and ECFE classes. And, sure enough, after a long day of carting the kids around town, explaining why it is necessary to wear mittens when it is below zero outside, reminding both kids to speak kindly and to refrain from using their bodies to harm one another, and clarifying that no matter how many times you choose to disobey or not listen, you will still receive a punishment, I found myself thinking, "Is it really JUST Tuesday?"
~
Wednesday found us at a friend's house for a morning playdate and today brought a couple inches of snow along with another morning at preschool for Allie. I have resumed cooking dinner each night and am staying enthusiastic about it by trying out some new recipes despite the fact that there is not much enthusiasm from the kids over the appearance of spinach in my newly concocted beef stew or Ben's complete lack of excitement regarding my potato pancakes topped with homemade applesauce.
~
Although each passing day after a long vacation seems to get better than the one before, I still find myself wishing fervently for Friday's arrival...which is thankfully now only a mere 10 hours away.
~
So, while I attempt to wait patiently for Friday, let's hope that I can find something better to do than think about how frigid and dreary it is outside and dream of consuming an entire pan of brownies.

No comments: