Monday, January 4, 2010

A Look Back at 2009

With the advent of a new year, I always find myself contemplating the highlights of the previous year. So, when 2010 made its appearance on my Google calendar, I wasn't too shocked when my mind started drifting toward the beginnings of 2009. I thought it would be fun to read through some of my old blog posts from last January to refresh my memory and other than cringing at the multitude of grammatical errors and often run-on sentences, I had a fun time sorting through my year old accounts.
~
It was no surprise to me that I spent a majority of several of my January 2009 posts ranting about the sub-zero frigid weather, lamenting over the kids' never-ending fevers, and processing through my need to lose weight with some of my very first Weight Loss Wednesday posts.
~
What was actually surprising were the pictures from last January. Like, for instance, this one:


I'm not sure what is more shocking: How little Zach was just one year ago or how big I was!

Fast forward one year:

Bigger kids, but definitely a smaller (and much happier and healthier) momma.

It is hard for me to even remember why or how I got to be where I was last January. When I received some test results from my annual OB appointment this past week and there was a handwritten note at the bottom from my doctor exclaiming her pride in me because I am now officially 100 pounds less than when I delivered Zach, my jaw almost dropped to the floor. I guess, at some point, I was so depressed about my weight gain that I just stopped paying attention...because I never EVER realized that I had gotten that big.

Things were so different for me a year ago before I embarked upon this weight loss journey. I thought I was happy and healthy, but in all actuality, I wasn't either. I was trapped, enslaved to my each and every food craving, convinced that a diet would only make me feel more incarcerated.

A year ago I would never have believed that disciplining myself to maintain a healthy lifestyle through a purposeful diet and planned exercise provided the exact opposite of confinement: incredible freedom. Freedom from high blood sugar levels and the fear of impending diabetes, freedom from obesity related heart issues, freedom from fatigue, freedom from food dependencies, freedom from back pain, freedom from joint pain, freedom from low self-esteem, freedom from physical weakness, freedom in clothing shopping....the list could go on and on.

I think I will always remember 2009 as the year I decided to change my life by taking control of my health and weight. Losing close to 65 pounds was no easy task, but it was worth it. And, I'm truly happy with the lifestyle changes I've made during this past year to make it happen.

1 comment:

Kari said...

I'm so proud of you Jen, Your transformation is amazing and I can't wait to see you and the whole family again! I'm sure between Eric and Zach, and AJ and Allie They will definetly get into some trouble together lol. I am just start my weight loss journey over again, I am going to go back thru your blog and get advice =)