Sunday, January 24, 2010

Momma's Baby Boy

It's no mystery around here who likes to be the baby. Whereas Allie will scream in objection at the top of her lungs when referred to in the same sentence as the word baby, Zach simply smiles and asks to be picked up whenever he is called the baby. He eats up every baby reference and never ever misses the opportunity to cash in on his baby-of-the-family-status. Though Allie can only see the disadvantages of being a baby, Zach has learned to use the designation to his benefit.
~
This means that he has definitely gone a lot longer without the expectation that he pick up his toys and the subsequent time-out that ensues upon his refusal (don't worry, we put an end to that one several months ago). I'm sure he has gotten away with instigating several fights with his big sister and has definitely gone many more dinners without eating vegetables than Allie ever has. We definitely carry him around a lot more than we ever did with Allie...he gets carried through parking lots and stores at an age when Allie was fully expected to walk because I simply did not have enough hands to carry her in addition to the portable car seat complete with baby.
~
I'm sure there are many more examples, but due to the screaming coming from the other room at the moment, I can't quite seem to come up with those additional instances.
~
And, why is there screaming coming from the other room? Well, because after finishing his snack, the fully capable 2-year old refuses to get off of his own chair...proclaiming that he needs help. He wants to be carried off of his booster seat and I told him I expect him to be a big boy and do it all by himself. He refused.
~
He is now yelling at the top of his lungs, "MOMMY GRACE! GET IN HERE!"
(My middle name is not 'Grace.' Allie's middle name is 'Grace.' And, now I'm thinking I may sound a bit too tyrannical sometimes myself when I am displeased with Allie's behavior.)
~
Anyway, it is obvious that giving up the designation of baby must be more difficult than I originally thought. And, apparently Zach thinks it much more worthwhile to spend a half hour crying because he "can't" get down off of his chair (I just peeked at him right now and his feet are literally 2 inches from the floor) than part with the precious label.
~
What he doesn't realize yet is that someday he won't want to be Momma's baby boy anymore...when he has peach fuzz on his face and the beginnings of arm pit hair...when he'd rather spend his days playing sports or video games...when the most embarrassing thing in the entire world to him will be a kiss and hug from his Momma.
~
So, maybe, just maybe...because he still wants to be my baby so badly....I'll go get him down off of his chair even though I know he can do it all by himself.
~
We can always practice being a big boy some other day...right?

No comments: