Wednesday, February 24, 2010

The Potty Training Chronicles: Vol. 2, Days 3 & 4

I'm not feeling especially motivated today to write a witty post about Zach's potty training endeavors. Nothing is going necessarily bad or negative with the whole process. In fact, quite the opposite: I'm actually shocked at how well he is doing.


Although we are still having issues with poopy (ie--yesterday he came to me with a little frown on his face, looked me straight in the eye and simply said, "I'm sorry, Mommy. So, sorry." No mention of his poop-filled underwear, just an "I'm sorry" that pretty much melted his momma's heart), he has been peeing on the potty at least 90 percent of the time.


I was even more elated when he successfully used the toilet during his ECFE class this morning an proceeded to stay dry throughout the rest of the class, lunch at Wendy's and picking Allie up from preschool. Unfortunately, I didn't get him on the toilet fast enough when we got home (because Allie was occupying the seat) and his dry streak ended right there on the tiled bathroom floor while he was yelling at Allie to hurry up and be done (can someone remind me why I thought having 1 toilet in our house was not going to be a problem when we moved in four and a half years ago?).


Zach's teachers at ECFE were awesome in reinforcing our potty training progress, lavishing upon him praise after praise. The best part of the morning was when Ms. Norma asked him if he had to go to the potty and he politely responded, "No, I went potty last night." Ha!


Anyway, things are definitely going well here for Zach and his underwear.


However, I must have conveniently forgotten how much extra work and patience is involved in potty training...

how at least 85 percent of your day is spent reading books in the bathroom...
how the remaining 15 percent is spent cleaning up pee, poop, and doing laundry...
how singing the "Potty Song" in a public restroom doesn't seem all that out of the ordinary until you hear a chuckle from the neighboring stall...
how all of your errands take ten times as long to complete because you are required to locate and visit the restroom at every stop...
how the tears begin to ensue when the tinkle won't come and a jelly bean is refused...
how you have to lug around that silly plastic, portable, toilet seat with you everywhere you go...
how you somehow have to work in the whole idea of "aiming" the pee so that it doesn't spray everywhere...
how every time you sit down on the toilet yourself, the potty trainee insists that he has to use it at that very same moment...

Believe me, I could go on.


So, while Zach is doing amazingly well with the whole potty training process, I'm ashamed to admit that I am already fading fast (and it's only day 4-oh my!). Don't worry...I will not give up or give in by slapping a diaper back on his bum. However, I could definitely use some tangible encouragment today...specifically in the form of a big ole' whoppin' poop in the toilet and not smashed between my two year old's rear end and underwear.

1 comment:

ella jean said...

you can buy (or probably make) little aiming games. there is one that you place a biodegradable submarine (about the size of a quarter) in the water to float and the boy must sink the boat with his pee.