Saturday, April 10, 2010

Easter

Well, it's almost a week past Easter Sunday and I'm finally getting around to posting our Easter pictures. Better late than never (I feel like I use that phrase a lot around this blog), huh?
~
This year seemed more special because I do believe it was the first year since Allie was a baby that no one was sick over the Easter weekend. So, we were actually able to attend church on Easter Sunday! And, we also captured some great pictures of the kids smiling happily (ok, I confess, I totally bribed them with jelly beans, but whatever works!) that aren't tainted with feverishly rosy cheeks or green snot-laden noses.



Ok, is it me or do the kids look exceptionally cute in the above pictures? I really should bribe them with jelly beans more often to capture their more adorable sides so that I have something to refer to when I feel like I want to rip my hair out rather than clean up one more pair of poopy underwear. Yes, we are still struggling with number 2 on the potty. My sister reminded me today that it won't last forever...that Zach won't be 5 and still filling his pants. My response: WHAT?! THIS IS GOING TO LAST FOR ANOTHER 2.5 MORE YEARS?!
~
And, now I realize I am talking about poop in a post that is supposed to be about Easter....which somehow seems a little strange, so I will spare you the rest of the details and go on to the rest of our Sunday.
~
After church, we headed over to my parents' house where we held our Easter egg hunt in the glorious weather outdoors before going out for Easter lunch. Yes, we went out to eat this year for Easter. I believe it was the first time ever and honestly, I was thankful. Usually my mom does most of the cooking anyway, but I still bring something to contribute. This year, however, I find myself with little to no energy to provide food daily for my own family, let alone a special dish for Easter...so, when going out was suggested, I was enthusiastically all over that idea! Not only was the food great, but we were left with no stress preparing or cleaning up a big holiday meal. For this year, it was definitely the perfect idea.
~
Anyway, I'm sure you're probably all waiting anxiously for Easter egg hunt pictures. And, since I do not want to disappoint....

This year we filled the eggs with little toys and stickers for the kids in addition to some candy. Although the kids were definitely excited about the candy, I believe they were equally enthusiastic about the toys/trinkets I was able to find that fit nicely inside the small plastic eggs. Allie left the hunt with multiple neon-colored plastic rings, a princess necklace, and matching bracelet. Zach was more than happy with several little race cars and plastic frogs. Our candy of choice this year was jelly beans and chocolate bunnies (which I do believe everyone enjoyed).
~
It is most amazing each year to see the kids' ability to understand and comprehend the meaning of Easter for their lives. The week before Easter we have made it a tradition to do our home-made version of the Resurrection Eggs. And, one evening, after opening the particular egg containing the cross and talking about its significance to the Easter story, Allie prayed:
"Dear God...thank you that Jesus died for me...thank you that he died on a cross so that I wouldn't have to die and that he could save me so that we can be with You. Amen."
~
This was also the first year that Zach had the ability to comprehend some of what Easter meant. It was neat to see him remember the eggs and their meanings...even though the only one he consistently remembered night after night was the egg containing the piece of leather to signify the whip that was used on Jesus.
~
I think we all definitely enjoyed a great Easter Sunday reflecting upon Christ and spending time together as a family.

No comments: