Monday, April 12, 2010

Pregnancy: Week 12

I admit that I am fearful of proclaiming how much better I've been feeling over the last week. The all day nausea I experienced over weeks 7-10 of this pregnancy seems to be subsiding and I'm actually able to stay awake past 8:00 pm without a 2 hour afternoon nap. In fact, today I even ran on the treadmill (Ok...I walked for 2 miles and ran for a half, but still, I haven't run in over a month because of how icky it made me feel so I was actually quite thrilled with myself for making it that long). Mostly, I'm just afraid if I make such a declaration, I will wake up tomorrow morning feeling icky all over again...so, we'll just pretend that I didn't say anything of the sort. Ok?
~
Allie continues to remind me daily of my growing tummy. Apparently she is the only one that seems to notice it besides myself. In fact, the ever expanding belly becomes glaringly obvious to me each morning as I can no longer button any of my regular pants and have officially hauled out my in-between pants from last year's weight loss endeavor. I'm actually thankful I kept all those too-big clothes, because now I at least have something to wear in that awkward in-between stage of pregnancy where you just kind of look like you've eaten one too many doughnuts as opposed to your abdomen actually housing a growing human being.
~
I definitely thought I would handle the whole weight gain/body change thing better this time around. I mean, this is my third pregnancy, so it really shouldn't come as a big surprise to me and I actually started out 45 pounds less than I did with my 2 previous pregnancies.
~
But, alas, in many ways it seems more difficult this time around. I think it is probably because I spent the last year anxiously watching the scale go down and was probably a slight bit obsessed over every change I saw. Plus, whenever I see the scale go up, I can't help but think how long it took me to lose those pounds and how quickly they seem to be going on. I'm officially at week 12 and have so far gained about 8 pounds. Ugh. That just seems so depressing to me. Especially when I consider the fact that it could take me two months (at the very least) to work that off.
~
Anyway, I have decided only to step on the scale once a week in an effort to not be so focused on it...which is definitely helping. Plus, I think I will feel a lot better about myself when I actually begin to look preggo instead of chubby. And, I have also been trying to focus on the positive changes I have made that weren't present in my two previous pregnancies...like regular, daily exercise and healthy eating.
~
So, positive thinking, coupled with the fact that I finally don't feel like a Mack Truck has hit me all day long, have actually made for a much better start to this week (despite the fact that I believe both my kids have finally given up their nap times...however, quiet time has been instituted for the sanity of mom.)
~
And, despite my reservations, I think I will begin to post some belly pictures throughout this pregnancy. I actually don't have many from Allie or Zach because I was incredibly good at dodging the cameras and really had no desire to remember in living color how ginormous or swollen I was at any given time in pregnancy (believe me, I didn't need a photo to remember that). So, although you probably won't be able to tell much (again, I am definitely in the spare tire around my waist stage of pregnancy), here's the first official pic at Week 12:
Ok, so it obviously doesn't look very official...so, maybe next time I'll get Ben to snap a photo of me instead of the self-portrait in the mirror complete with camera flash in my 2-year old son's bedroom.
~
Alright, well, newly instituted quiet time has nearly come to an end...and since I'm almost certain there is a pair of poopy underwear awaiting my attention, I need to take a moment to psych myself up to more joyfully attend to my son's needs (seriously, how can you joyfully clean up poop!? If someone knows the secret to that, please, PLEASE share!).

1 comment:

lsalsa said...

You look Fantastic! Again congratulations!