Friday, April 2, 2010

What We've Been Up To...

Obviously, I don't need to tell you what a slacker I've been with the blog over the past couple weeks. Truth be told, I've been a slacker in quite a few areas around here lately (namely cleaning and cooking), but in my defense, it is very difficult to find the motivation to get anything done around the house when summer decides to make an early appearance.
~
I'm all about sunshine and temperatures in the 60's and 70's, but when 80 degrees decides to show its glorious face on the first day of April in Minnesota, I really have no other choice but to spring Allie early from preschool and head to Como Park for a picnic and fun afternoon with the kids. Apparently, the entire rest of the Twin Cities metro decided to join us there, causing me to wonder if there were any responsible adults left within a one hundred mile radius that actually decided not to play hooky from work. Crowds aside, we had a great time exploring the zoo, park, gardens, and even made a stop at the nearby, kid-friendly Java Train coffee house where we enjoyed lemonade and ice cream.
~
So, what else have we been up to? Mainly, playing lots and LOTS outside. We've gone on bike rides, walks, trips to the park, and we even set up all all of our patio furniture so we could enjoy our first outdoor picnic this week. Last night we had our first ever back yard campfire with the kids where we roasted marshmallows and indulged in smores. Both kids couldn't get enough chocolate and marshmallows. And, I fully admit, I don't ever remember a smore tasting so divine!
~
The kids are definitely loving the sun and are especially fond of wearing their shorts and flip-flops. Swinging, playing with chalk, and playing with the sand table are among their favorite activities, but they are always inventing new games in the backyard. Whether they are playing in their private clubhouse resort (aka, the swing set) or zooming down the slide head first and landing face first in the dirt/mud pile at the bottom, they are thrilled with all that the outdoors brings. Especially dirt. See....
Let's see...what else?
~
My sister was in town last week enjoying her spring break from teaching preschool, so we were able to spend lots of time with her. She even had a slumber party in Allie's room and was able to go out to breakfast with us the next morning before dropping Allie off at preschool. We also did some shopping for the kids' summer wardrobe and had a few lunches out and about during her stay.
~
Ben and I even enjoyed an evening out while she stayed with the kids. We decided to eat at P.F. Chang's where I quickly became addicted to their lettuce wraps and am already contemplating the next time we can consume some. We were going to go out and see a movie, but upon realizing there was absolutely nothing in the theaters we had any desire to see, we opted for a quiet night at home watching T.V. uninterrupted by the normal kids' bath and bed time routine. Definitely a much needed time to relax!
~
We've also been keeping busy making some minor changes around the house. We found a great deal on some bedroom furniture for Zach on Craigslist and so we decided to shift around the kids' rooms. Stay tuned, I'll post some pics soon. Thankfully, both kids have adjusted wonderfully to their new rooms and couldn't be happier!
~
Well, I think it is almost officially time for lunch to be made, so I should wrap this post up. (Zach just informed me that he is getting hungry. However, I'm pretty sure he's always hungry, so I'm not sure how that is really significant in indicating lunch time.) Until next time...

1 comment:

Cindy @The Flipping Couple said...

Sounds like an awesome way to spend these amazing summer-like days!

However, I was one of the responsible adults not playing hooky, which is a total bummer because I wanted to play hooky soooo bad. I'm so excited for summer!