Wednesday, May 5, 2010

While Allie's Away...

When you are used to everyday life with two kids, all of a sudden life with one kid seems very different...much quieter, a little easier, and I'd even venture to say a bit more boring.
I'm wondering if I'll feel similar next year at this time when I'm hopefully into the groove of things with three kids. I think so or at least I anticipate so. But, I guess only time will truly tell.
~
Anyway, Allie spent last night at Grandma's while my dad was away on a business trip, so it was just Zach and I holding down the fort. Ben had a late night at work, so for the majority of the afternoon and evening I was accompanied solely by my lone 2 year old. Which, honestly, was quite a lot of fun. Although Zach never seems too jealous of the attention an older sibling undoubtedly requires, I do think he relishes the times that he has the chance to become the center of the universe. He never quite demands it, but seriously, who doesn't like an opportunity every once and a while to be the center of attention?
~
We definitely had a fun time together at the grocery store, him eating free chocolate cupcakes from the bakery and I directing his help toward loading the cart full of our weekly necessities. He was happy as a clam to hold the door open for me upon our arrival home when I was unloading all the grocery bags from the van into the kitchen. We also went out for dinner together and I enjoyed the time together with just my boy (who relished plenty of hugs and kisses on me in between bites of mac and cheese). We've gotten to read plenty of books together, play choo-choos and Cars, and have lots of our own uninterrupted conversations.
~
But, amidst all our fun, there is still that nagging feeling of missing something. While Zach is definitely lamenting the temporary loss of his built in best friend and playmate (he even displayed quite the frowny face at breakfast this morning upon realizing that Allie was still gone), I am missing all the drama and fun that makes up our Allie. For instance: there just isn't as much laughter in the house when she isn't here, I don't have nearly as many questions to answer, we don't seem to sing as much, there isn't as much dancing, I have no one else's hair to fix, and there's only half as many hugs and kisses. Sure, I haven't had to play referee over the past 24 hours and there has only been half as many time outs, and although I've definitely enjoyed the temporary break from that part of motherhood, I'm still excited to have Allie back home.
~
As much as I enjoy having our whole family all together, I really have fun spending one on one time with each of my kids and am realizing I need to make an effort to do so more often (and, date nights with just Ben aren't too shabby either!). So, although I am sure we will miss Zach just as much next week when it is his turn to spend the night at Grandma and Grandpa's, I'm already excited for some fun girl time with just Allie.

No comments: