Monday, June 7, 2010

20 Weeks

***UPDATE***
Well, the big ultrasound proved that our 3rd baby most definitely takes after Allie. Apparently, he or she did not want his/her gender revealed and kept his/her legs tightly crossed throughout the entire time (despite mom's eating french toast with maple syrup for breakfast!). Also, although everything the ultrasound tech could see appeared healthy, there was a lot she was not able to see because of the baby's position and because the baby might be a little younger than we originally thought (hmmm...we might have a November baby as opposed to an October baby). So, we will be headed back in a month for another peak and we are hoping he/she will be a little more cooperative this time around!
~
***ORIGINAL POST BELOW***
This week finally marks week 20 of my third pregnancy! Wahoo! Half-way there! Here's a pic of my growing belly: It is really no secret to anyone that knows me well that I don't necessarily love being pregnant. Sure, there are always joys (like feeling our baby kick, hearing our baby's heartbeat, seeing our baby on the ultrasound, meeting our baby for the first time), but I guess you can say that I've never quite felt that pregnancy "glow." In fact, this time around with all the extra oil I seem to be producing on my face and in my hair, I have more of a glossy sheen to my physical appearance rather than anything resembling a maternal glow.
~
Anyway, despite the inevitable discomforts that come along with any and every pregnancy, I really have nothing to complain about. And, since I'm sure you didn't click over to my blog to read about sciatic nerve pain and the irritation of awakening every three hours to pee all night long, I'll spare you the details (and if you were looking for a little preggo venting, I'm sure as I near that 40 week mark, I'll definitely be feeling the need to do a little therapeutic venting myself, so stay tuned, I'm fairly sure I will not let you down).
~
So far this pregnancy has been completely uneventful, free of complications, and in many ways a heck of a lot better than my previous two. It seems that losing 65 pounds before gaining 30-40 is definitely the way to go.
~
I have yet to experience any noticeable swelling in my legs and feet despite our hotter (and more humid) than normal weather. Although I am definitely tired by the end of the day, I don't feel so exhausted that I am unable to go on walks with the kids or play outside or go swimming. Any nausea that I experienced earlier is now completely gone, but has been unfortunately replaced by an insatiable appetite for anything sweet with tons of carbs (pair this with the fact that I just discovered a wonderful bakery down the street that makes the BEST homemade doughnuts and you definitely have a recipe for disaster).
~
So, all in all, 20 weeks finds me in the middle of the best part of pregnancy. I'm not so huge that I am exhausted all the time or unable to go anywhere because I have to pee every two seconds and can't find one article of clothing that adequately covers my belly, but instead I get to enjoy congratulatory comments from random strangers who observe my preggo belly and utilize the extra energy that I will be completely sapped of in another few short months.
~
I have also been feeling the baby move for the past month or so (mostly at night and in the mornings) and I'm especially looking forward to the kids and Ben feeling those kicks from the outside as well (Allie is particularly excited and enamored by this little detail).
~
This week also marks our big ultrasound...you know...the one where we finally get to find out if the babe is a boy or a girl! I'm so excited that I can barely wait. Plus, finding out his/her gender means that I will finally be able to get around to setting up the baby's nursery. And, since that whole nesting instinct seems to be a part of my normal personality (it just gets quite magnified when preggo...like the time I thought it was absolutely necessary to clear everything out of the bathroom and completely clean out each drawer, cabinet, and crevice in the bathroom when I was 38 weeks pregnant with Zach), I'm actually more than ready to tackle the baby's room.
~
Plus, if the baby is a boy, I think we will definitely need the next 20 weeks to prepare Allie for another brother. She is still convinced God has given her a baby sister and has already begun compiling a mental list of why our family does not need any more boys...the latest entry: boy poop stinks much more than girl poop so we do not need any more boy poop in our family.
~
I'm not quite sure what to say in response to that....other than the fact that both Allie and Zach's poopy diapers were equally rancid and disgusting.
~
I'll be sure to let you know later this week what we find out!

1 comment:

Danielle & Vandenn said...

You look great, Jennifer! So excited to hear if it's a boy or girl!