Friday, July 9, 2010

Pregnancy Update

This week we had our second ultrasound to check out the growth progress of the new baby. I had my first ultrasound about a month ago, but the baby was measuring small and in a position where they couldn't see much, so my doctor wanted me to go in again just to ensure everything was alright. Since there was no reason to be alarmed, Ben and I were both excited about another sneak peek at the newest member of our family and the possibility of finding out gender.
~
From the very beginning of this pregnancy I have felt strongly that this baby is a girl. I have been sportin' the same oily hair and pimply skin that appeared when I was pregnant with Allie whereas while pregnant with Zach I never had one single bad hair day and had the most perfect complexion of my entire life. Plus, hearing my four year old daily declare that she has been given a baby sister pretty much had me convinced as well.
~
So, I really wasn't all that surprised when the ultrasound tech announced definitively that the baby is a GIRL! There is no question and we even have the picture to prove it.
~
I remember feeling surprised at discovering both Allie and Zach's gender. Allie--we didn't find out until delivery (which was more due to her lack of cooperation than our choice) and up until the day I went into labor, I didn't feel strongly one way or the other. Zach's gender was unveiled almost immediately upon the wand being placed on my belly at his 20 week ultrasound and since I was also not feeling strongly boy or girl, I was surprised as well.
~
So, it feels a little odd to not be surprised this time around. In fact, after the tech made the announcement, my reaction was something like, "Yep, I know" and Ben pretty much laughed.
~
But, it definitely does feel good to finally know for sure! I love, Love, LOVE to plan, so knowing we have a little girl on the way makes the preparations oh so much easier. Yesterday, the kids and I went out and bought our little gal a girly baby book, some clearance spit bibs (because if our newest daughter takes after her brother and sister, we will need to buy stock in burp rags and spit bibs), and I couldn't resist the pink fleece sleep sacks (which I love for night time changes in the cooler Fall months).
~
This may seem weird, because obviously we would love this new baby whether boy or girl, but knowing that the little 1.3 pound baby that keeps me up at night with her constant wiggling is a girl really helps me to give her an identity. I love being able to call our new daughter by name (yes, we have chosen a name, but while we're still attempting to convince Allie it is a lovely name, I think I'll keep it on the down low) as opposed to the ambiguous "baby" that we have been using. It is fun to hear the kids talk about their new sister and hear them plan all the things they are going to teach her and do with her.
~
And, since I usually don't feel at my best while pregnant, knowing we are going to have another daughter helps me to look past the months where my body feels big, tired, and icky toward the months where we will get to welcome a new little girl into our family (in all honesty...right now I'm kind of skipping over the whole just-brought-the-baby-home-she-never-sleeps-I'm-so-exhausted-how-will-I-ever-survive-this period because, for the moment, I am choosing to forget that--kind of like how I'm also choosing to gloss over the whole oh-my-gosh-I'm-in-labor-this-is-the-worst-pain-I've-ever-felt-why-in-the-world-did-I-decide-to-have-a-3rd-baby period as well. But alas, after having gone through this with two kids and SURVIVING, I kind of hope the whole shock factor will be a little decreased this time around...who knows...I could be completely wrong...you'll just have to ask me again at Christmastime).
~
So, anyway, we are all excited about the new baby girl on the way. Allie, though, I'm sure is the most thrilled. When I told her, her response went something like: "Oh, I TOLD YOU SO MOM! I'm getting a sister?! I just knew it! I'm so happy! Yay! I'm getting a sister!" Zach's reaction was more of an "Oh. Ok."
~
However, the little sister that was due to arrive on October 26 will most likely be making a later appearance somewhere around November 6. They officially changed my due date and at first I was a little bummed, but then decided I much prefer a due date change than waiting excruciatingly every single day after October 26 and having her a perceived 11 days late. I've already gone 5 days over a due date (with Allie) and that was not really my idea of fun.
~
I believe that covers most of the new baby news. Other than the fact that all I ever want to eat are Pop-Tarts. I can't even remember the last time I craved a Pop-Tart, of all things, but here I am, 20-some weeks pregnant (my brain still isn't functioning well enough to calculate how many weeks preggo I am according to my new due date), and all I want is a stinkin' Pop-Tart. I had one a few weeks ago and after glancing at the nutritional information on the side of the box, I decided I needed to limit my Pop-Tart intake, no matter how intense the craving. We'll have to see how long I hold out.....

1 comment:

Soccerbelle said...

My daughter was convinced she was going to have a little sister too and even picked out a name for her. Then we had a boy! She loved him anyway.