Sunday, August 22, 2010

The End of Summer is Near

The last week of August is almost upon us, and with it, in my mind, comes the unofficial last week of summer. Most years this fact would be a little depressing to me as it also inevitably means the imminent arrival of the-season-that-shall-not-be-named (you know, the one that begins with a 'w'). However, this year I'm actually looking forward to the end of summer.

Don't get me wrong, I've loved our care-free summer days, often completely schedule free, hours spent swimming at the pool or running about the backyard. I've also enjoyed our summer get aways and vacations, soaking up the sun and getting perhaps the best tan I've had since the year Ben and I took our honeymoon to Mexico. I look forward to evening walks and bike rides with Ben and the kids, enjoying the fact that it stays light out so much longer during the summer season.

But, this year, despite all the fun that comes along with one of the most laid back seasons of the year, I think I'm actually ready for Fall and the semblance of a schedule it brings. The school supply aisles at Target have me anticipating Allie's return to preschool and Zach's return to ECFE. I've been looking at mom's group brochures and MOPS information to see if there's a local group for me to join to get to know some other moms this year.

I'm definitely more than ready to say goodbye to this late August heat and humidity, to pack up the tank tops in exchange for some cozy sweat shirts that I can wear around a backyard campfire on a cool fall evening. My cravings for ice cream and fruit smoothies have slowly changed to an intense desire for all things pumpkin and apple. And, since Fall season also seems to be Birthday season in our home (actually, all 3 of our kids will have Fall birthdays in October and November), the anticipation over birthday celebrations has already begun.

I'm not sure the kids are as excited about Fall as I am. They have both already lamented over the closing of the public pool once the school year officially begins. Allie is a little hesitant of beginning preschool again, but I know she will quickly snap out of it as soon as we meet her teachers and see her classroom. Plus, both kids have noticed the days are already getting shorter. In fact, Allie was highly concerned last night that there were thunderstorms on the way since it was actually getting dark outside when she went to bed!

So, although we will all miss some things about summer, I am still anticipating the change that fall brings. We definitely have a lot of exciting things coming up for our family this fall and I'm more than ready to get the show on the road!

No comments: