Thursday, October 21, 2010

It's Thursday and...

Here I am...in my own house....eating breakfast alone...in absolute peace and quiet...and although nice, it is actually kind of weird. I'm so used to the morning commotion, the requests for milk and Frosted Mini Wheats, directing kids to put on pants and shirts and socks, advising them to keep their hands and legs to themselves while also suggesting that it might be a good idea to keep the singing to a minimum at such an early hour. I know for a fact that all I have to do this morning is sit here and relax, but my body feels a bit on edge because in the back recesses of my mind, there is a certainty that at any moment all the usual hubbub will ensue and it will be game on for this momma.
~
It's actually kind of a long story as to how I came about having no kids on this lovely, sunny, Fall Thursday morning. But, suffice it to say, I'm a tad bit embarrassed by the whole ordeal and was even hesitant to bring it up. Anyway, for inquiring minds (dying to know), let me just inform you that it is entirely possible to have over 12 hours of painful, consistent labor contractions that land you at the doctor's office whereupon you are sent to the hospital. After the administration of a miracle drug known as IV fluids at said hospital, it is entirely possible that all painful contractions completely come to a halt and you are dumbfounded as you come to the realization that even though this is your THIRD pregnancy, apparently you still cannot recognize the difference between false and real labor.
~
Anyway, I'm sure some day we will all look back at this and laugh, but I'm not quite there yet.
~
On the positive side of things, I did get some ice cream out of the whole ordeal and I didn't even feel guilty about eating it because I have gained absolutely no weight throughout the third trimester of this pregnancy. And, no, I'm not going to tell you how much I have gained over the first two trimesters because that would just nullify the success I feel over gaining nothing over these past 6-8 weeks.
~
In other news, Allie informed me this week that she has super power abilities. Well, not quite in those terms, but she did let me know that the reason God gave her two ears is so that she has one to listen to me talk while she can use the other (simultaneously) to listen to herself talk. When I told her nicely that I didn't think it worked quite like that, she insisted I was misinformed. So, I gave up the argument and succumbed to my own laughter because who am I to get in the way of a budding super hero?
~
Zach, the 3-year old who still insists that he is unable to pull his own pants up each morning, has proclaimed that when he grows up he wants to be a doctor so he can help sick people...or a space man so he can fly in a rocket. When asked how he was going to learn how to do those things, he responded that mommy was going to teach him. I'm glad he has such a high opinion of me, but I hope he is not too terribly disappointed when he discovers my abilities do not quite cover the realm of medicine and aeronautics. But, I think I'll remind him when he's a tad bit older and insists that I'm an idiot that at one time he did think of me as a genius.
~
Well, for now, this genius who can't even tell when she's in labor or not, is going to take a nice, long, hot shower without having to listen to Mickey Mouse Clubhouse in the background and enjoy the rest of the peaceful morning before the kiddoes return.

2 comments:

Soccerbelle said...

Oh goodness - did this bring back memories. On my second pregnancy, I wasn't sure if I was in labor or not. I'd been having Braxton Hicks contracts every night and so when the contractions started, I assumed that's what they were. But they didn't go away when I put my feet up or finally drank water (dehydration can force you into labor). By the time I decided we needed to go to the hospital, we couldn't reach my mother-in-law to stay with the older child and had to call and get my sister out of bed to come over. Of course, labor is much shorter when you don't acknowledge you're in labor. Son was born shortly after arriving at the hospital.

Laurie J said...

so glad I found your blog! Can't wait to hear the real good news :) Hang in there, mama!!