Tuesday, November 2, 2010

2:51 p.m. or 2:48 p.m.?


The picture above may not at first seem all that exciting. However, this specific wall clock has special meaning. You see, at the birth of all 3 of our kids, Ben makes sure to snap a quick picture of the clock in the delivery room so that we have pictorial evidence at the exact time each of our children entered the world.
~
So, imagine my surprise when I saw the label on Olivia's hospital crib and the time of birth read 2:48 p.m.
I know it is only a 3 minute difference, but Ben is pretty meticulous about making sure to photograph the correct time, so I thought that the label must have been a mistake.
~
When I asked Ben about the discrepancy, he said that it was very possible that in between pushing the emergency call button and locating the camera on the bedside table, that he may have been a little late photographing the time. Or, there was also the distinct possibility that the nurse could have been a minute or two off on the time as well.
~
Apparently those kinds of errors can be made when you are in labor, waiting for your doctor (or any doctor on the maternity floor) to arrive to deliver your baby, and you all of a sudden express to the nurse that you are fairly certain the baby is already coming out. A quick peak under the hospital sheets reveals the surprise and approximately 2 seconds later, crying fills the room. When you look up to see the shocked faces of your nurse and your husband trying to register what just happened, you realize that your third baby literally just fell out!
~
Seriously, though, my labor/delivery nurse was awesome! She did not panic and swiftly went about doing everything necessary to ensure Olivia had arrived safely and was in good health. She did inform us later that in her 25 years of labor and delivery experience that this had only happened a handful of times and she was quite taken by surprise.
~
In fact the whole delivery happened so quickly that not even the doctors at the end of the hall made it in time for Olivia's big debut, let alone my doctor who was a mere 10 minutes away. When they all did show up in my room (and I'm sure I had at least 5 doctors and 4 nurses come rushing into my room), it was one big awkward party!
~
Anyway, I am all about the epidural labor experience, so that is one of the big reasons I was unaware of Olivia's imminent coming sooner than her actual arrival. And, for the record, with both Allie and Zach I had extremely short pushing times (as in, they didn't even give it a time label because they were both out in 1-3 pushes). So, I guess I shouldn't have been surprised, but I don't think I ever expected to skip the whole pushing process of labor.
~
The nurse later commented to me that they always tell moms in labor who are worried about the doctor making it in time that there is no way your baby is going to fall out, but in my case that wasn't true at all. The whole experience definitely makes for quite an exciting story...and I'm sure this is just the first of many surprises Olivia has in store for us!

1 comment:

Melissa: The Goldilocks of the Bear Den...and the Momma! said...

HI, I just found your blog from a link from mine. Great stories! I had to comment because my second baby was just born on New Years Day and she fell out. I didn't push at all. In fact she was born in an ambulance in our drive way because it went so fast. I almost had her on the bathroom floor! My whole labor and delivery was super short. The whole story is on our blog. We are also in MN...Maple Grove area. Great to meet new moms through the blogging world.