Tuesday, December 14, 2010

"Baby, It's Cold Outside!"

Yes, indeed, it is COLD outside...like mid-January frostbite, snot-freeze cold and it is only December.  Not only is it inhumanely frigid outside, but I've also had that stupid "Baby, It's Cold Outside" Christmas song stuck in my head for days now.  I know there is probably quite the affinity for this song amongst the general public (my husband being among those who adore this song), but I'm definitely not a fan.  And not only are the ridiculous song lyrics stuck ringing in my head over and over again, but it seems every time I turn on the radio, some hideous version of it is blaring out of the speakers (the worst, in my opinion, is the Ray Charles version). 
~
Anyway, I would really like another song to replace it ASAP before I go clinically insane, and would also like to request that it preferably NOT be a stupider song...you know, like "Santa Baby" or that sappy "Christmas Shoes" song.  While I'm at it, I also really do not want to have to hear repetitive versions of the "Dominick the Donkey" song or "My Favorite Things" (seriously, I was not under the impression that this song was a Christmas song...last time I checked, it was from the "Sound of Music" and in my opinion, that is right where it should stay). 
~
Anyway, I am definitely NOT the Grinch or a scrooge when it comes to Christmas music, but I can't be the only one out there that thinks some of our Christmas songs are just plain dumb.  Call me an old fogey, but I'm seriously missing the classic Christmas carols.  And, I know that this may also come as a shocker to you (especially considering my above rant of stupid songs), but I could really go for some "Breath of Heaven" (insert husband's moaning and groaning here, followed by my persistent defense of this Amy Grant musical masterpiece due to my love for the lyrics of the song...followed further by husband's sneer that the words "Amy Grant" and "musical masterpiece" should never be used in the same sentence...and then I pretty much lose the whole disagreement because you just can't argue with hard facts like that).
~
I am, however, enjoying immensely the kids' own renditions of classic Christmas songs.  Somehow, the lyrics get all jumbled up and I always get a good laugh out of it.  I still haven't quite determined Zach's personal lyrics to "Winter Wonderland," but it goes something like "...winter, winter, walkin', wonder man..."  I also get a kick out of his drummer boy rumpa-pum-pums and his ecstatic participation in singing "Jingle Bells."
~
I believe Allie has been learning the "12 Days of Christmas" at preschool and it cracks me up how she can never keep the days straight.  I also get questions like, "Why would you want ladies dancing, Mom?" or "What is a partridge, anyway, and what would you do if you got a pear tree?"  It should be interesting, next week at her Christmas preschool program, to see how many other 5-year olds are having the same difficulty keeping their 12 Days of Christmas gifts straight.
~
Anyway, I think it is about time for another Christmas cookie (ummm...so....Weight Loss Wednesday should be super interesting tomorrow, seeing as I apparently have no self control when it comes to Christmas cookies and I have yet to figure out that whole exercise-with-a-six-week-old-who-never-cries-until-I-step-foot-on-the-treadmill piece of the puzzle) and some good ole' Pandora Nutcracker mix while I enjoy the remaining 10 minutes of quiet/nap time.

No comments: