Sunday, January 2, 2011

Happy New Year!

Since we were all in bed by 10:00 pm on New Year's Eve, we didn't welcome in 2011 until 6:30 am the next morning.  I'm sure one of these days we'll do something exciting to ring in the New Year, but for now, sleep just seems far too valuable to sacrifice.
~
Anyway, we enjoyed our New Year's Day nonetheless.  After the kids and Ben returned from Home Depot Project day (they made a miniature book shelf this time...just one more wooden creation I have to find a place for...however, Allie has discovered that some of her past projects are missing and has accused me of throwing them in the trash.  What?!  Me?!) , we had a living room picnic lunch while enjoying the DVR'd Rose Parade. 
I'm pretty sure that Olivia had the best seat in the house.
Later in the day, we (by we, I mean Ben and Zach) watched the Badgers lose to the Horned Frogs. 

By the time the game was over, Ben was not so much smiling anymore.  I don't follow football at all, but I did inform Ben prior to the game that if the Badgers were beaten by a team whose mascot is a 4-legged jumping amphibian, I might just never let him live it down.  However, I guess I do owe him a break, seeing as the football team from my alma matter not only sports a goofy looking yellow gopher for a mascot, but also performed horribly this year (according to Ben "horribly" means "really, really, extremely bad"). 
~
I'm not sure that I've made any true New Year's resolutions.  I've really only ever had one truly successful New Year's Resolution back in 2009 when I set out to lose some serious poundage.  This year, I definitely need to get rid of the baby weight (and I promise I'll post more regularly on my efforts...I've kind of glossed over the last two weeks, but now that the Christmas cookies are finally gone, I'm hoping for more success), but I am hoping to do so in a more balanced way....meaning that it may take me a little longer this time around, but I really, REALLY need to be patient and OK with that.  I have a lot of other factors present this year that weren't an issue back in 2009 (like, mostly this adorable pudgy 2-month old baby that takes a lot of my time and sleep, in addition to a 5 year old and 3 year old that sometimes feel like they are being jipped out of mom-time). 
~
I am excited about 2011, though.  I love the beginning of a new year, knowing that God has plans for our family that we aren't even aware of yet.  There are also lots of fun firsts waiting to be experienced this year...first day of kindergarten, first day of preschool, and a whole slew of firsts for our baby girl.  Plus, Ben and I will be turning the big 3-0 this year.  Yikes.  I can remember when my parents turned 30 and I thought that was sooo old.  So, I guess this is the year we will be officially old too.  Good thing I still have 5 months to prepare for that one. 
~
Happy 2011 everyone!

2 comments:

Soccerbelle said...

Sorry I haven't commented much lately, although I've been reading. I really enjoyed the pictures of the three children and the guessing game. I did pretty well, btw.

I love the blog redesign too.

30 is not that old (speaking as someone one year away from the big "5-0"). And I'm looking forward to your weight loss posts and I'm in that same boat this year. My daughter is getting married in July and I'd like to be in better shape. I'm not even going to attempt to set a weight loss goal - just hope to be not so jiggly in places! LOL

Happy New Year to you and the family.

Danielle & Vandenn said...

We watched the Rose Bowl game, as well. Vandenn isn't a TCU fan, but we had to cheer for them anyway since they were from TX.

Looking forward to hearing more from you in 2011--I turn 30 this year as well!