Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Our Week So Far

Well, I have been doing my best to keep everyone entertained around here this week.  I usually LOVE to be on the go and last year at this time we had countless play dates, trips to the Children's Museum, visits to the zoo...we had a calendar FULL of out-of-the-house activities to keep everyone occupied during the month of January. 
~
Now that I have 3 kids, with one who is still needing to nurse every 2-3 hours, I feel like our "going" has come to a screeching halt.  And although I'm starting to get a little taste of cabin-fever myself (along with the kids), I'm mostly ok with things slowing down...basically because it takes me twice as long to get anything done around the house (ie-cooking, cleaning, laundry--oh the laundry!!) and three times as long to get ready and go anywhere. 
~
Anyway, I know that all too soon, especially when the weather isn't so blasted cold and snowy, we'll resume our regularly scheduled outings...this time with one more kid in tow!  So, for now, I'm enjoying the respite while trying to come up with activities to keep the boredom at bay.
~
Monday, usually the most difficult day of the week because the excitement of the weekend and having Daddy home is over, was spent with home-made play-dough (because everyone knows home-made play-dough is waaaay cooler than the stuff you can buy in the store). 

Yes, these pictures were taken after lunch and yes the kids are still in their pajamas.  In fact, we were all in our pajamas...all. day. long.  Just another fun bi-product of having nowhere to go. 

Anyway, after two hours of play-dough fun (I'm not exaggerating...I was SHOCKED at how long a lump of moldable flour/salt/oil/cream of tartar/food coloring kept them occupied), I decided to bring some snow inside to "color."



And because small glad-ware containers of snow didn't keep them occupied nearly long enough, I filled the bathtub with the fluffy white stuff and armed them both with squirt bottles full of colored water. 




This was a HUGE hit (and also kind of a huge mess...oh well...it was all washable and that was why it was in the bathroom anyway)!  In fact, they have both been requesting to do it again ASAP.  However, I feel I need to recover for a few days before doing this again (it was actually a lot of work to lug that much snow into the bathroom!).  

Thankfully, Tuesday is preschool and ECFE, so both kids are usually occupied enough during the morning that by the time we get home in the afternoon they are ready for quiet time and seem to play nicely together until dinner.  After dinner is usually a downhill slide until bath/bed time, but that is a post for another time.

Anyway, this week Zach did not have ECFE, so after we dropped Allie off at preschool he helped me put together a crock-pot chili recipe for dinner.  I haven't done a lot of cooking with him (mostly because Allie shows more interest) and I was surprised at how much he enjoyed it.  He helped "chomp" all the veggies in my "chomper" (otherwise known as my electric chopper/mini food processor).  After the veggies were significantly liquefied, he had fun dumping them in the crock-pot.  In fact, he had a lot of fun dumping in beans, the ground beef, tomatoes, tomato sauce, and all the spices.  He was so thrilled that he "made" dinner all by himself that he actually ate dinner that night.  He is usually extremely picky when it comes to eating, so I was pumped that he cleaned his bowl without one complaint!  Although it took me twice as long to make the chili, it was definitely worth the fun that Zach and I had together.  And, Olivia seemed to have fun watching everything unfold from her bouncy seat in the kitchen. 

After picking Allie up from preschool, I visited Once Upon a Child to see if they had any cheap Bumbo seats for Olivia.  I thought it would help with her torticollis, but didn't want to pay full price for another piece of plastic baby gear (which was good thinking because so far she HATES the seat with a passion...I'm thinking it probably has something to do with the fact that her baby butt and thighs are so squished into the seat that she can barely move).  We scored one pretty cheap and as we were leaving the kids noticed a McDonald's with an indoor play land across the street.  So, despite my nervousness that they would get sick (seriously, everyone I seem to know with kids is sick...and we've been extremely healthy...so I'm just waiting for our turn for the nasty to inevitably hit), we went.  It was a good way to kill a chunk of the afternoon even though Zach was a little hesitant to climb up all the tubes despite his sister's complete inhibition.
~
So, now it is Wednesday....and if you are still reading this quite-mundane play-by-play of our week so far, I'm impressed.  Today is laundry day...even though I just did laundry this weekend, somehow it is overflowing yet again.  The kids are having quiet time right now and Olivia is actually napping in her crib.  The crib-napping doesn't happen very often for her because she is usually required to catch zzzz's in her car seat in between running errands or shuffling Allie to/from preschool.  Speaking of Olivia, she just discovered her hands this week.  It has been fun to watch her intently try to reach for things and bring her hands up to her eye level and stare at them in pure amazement as if wondering if those could actually belong to her. 
~
I need to go to the grocery store at some point, but am thinking I'm really not up for it with all 3 kids in tow.  Plus, Allie is way excited to fold the socks...and I wouldn't want her to miss out on that now, would I?   

1 comment:

Allison said...

Wow. You really get full mommy points this week. Play-Doh and snow on the same day?