Friday, August 26, 2011

The End of August?!

It is true...the end of summer is closer than I'd like to believe.  The signs are everywhere:  the raspberry bushes are sadly now barren, the petunias have grown crunchy from neglect, the sunscreen bottles are almost empty, and it seems the kids are finally able to fall asleep again at a reasonable time now that the sun sets well before 9:00 pm. 

While I'd like to claim my absence from the blogosphere during these last few weeks of summer has been due to some grandiose cross-country excursion, it is quite the opposite.  In fact, it is more due to summer laziness than anything else.  You see, my camera's memory card was full and I couldn't figure out how to download the hundreds of pictures onto our main hardrive, so instead of figuring it out myself, I decided to wait until Ben had a chance to work out the kinks.  He finished downloading the pictures and reformatting the memory card last night...so now, I figure I have no excuse not to update. 

So what does my camera memory card have to do with my lack of blogging anyway?  Well, I kind of feel like if you have to read through all my random thoughts, you might as well be rewarded by a cute picture of a kid...or two...or three.  Unfortunately, this particular post will be void of any pictures due to the fact that I have completely neglected to visually document any and all of our family's last three week's of existence.  Which, honestly, is probably for the best because we have spent quite a few of those days passing around a doozy of a summer cold.  I think we may finally be in the clear just in time for school to start in a little over a week.

This whole back-to-school time has me busy trying to get our calendar in order in addition to figuring out a system for organizing school papers...and church hand outs...and preschool papers...and dance schedules...and everything else that seems to clutter up the kitchen with the advent of a new school year.  The kids' school supplies have been purchased and labeled, new shoes have been picked out, fresh hair cuts have been obtained, the winter wardrobe has been assessed, and necessary items of clothing purchased to replace the too-small ones...all while I'm still trying to get my head around the fact that we're entering a whole new realm of parenting with the dawn of the school-age years. 

I feel like I should feel sad about this...like, I should be writing a lengthy post lamenting my first-born's babyhood gone by.  And while part of me is still in complete and utter shock that the little brown-eyed baby I cradled in my arms a mere 5 years ago, who was solely dependant upon me to provide for her every single need, will be walking into a school building in a little over a week without me, I just don't feel all that sad about it.

She is ready...and although a tad bit nervous, she is so excited.  Whether I'm ready or not...it seems quite irrelevant.  If being a mom has taught me anything, it has taught me how little control I have... how to hold loosely...how to let go.  Sure, it is only kindergarten now and maybe I'll feel differently as she is packing up her bags for college, but I'm thankful I get these little milestones along the way to practice what it means to tangibly let go.  Plus, if you could see her face light up with sheer joy at the mention of beginning school, I'm pretty sure you'd have a difficult time feeling sad as well.

Zach will be starting preschool the week after Allie begins kindergarten.  So far he doesn't seem that excited about it, but I have to keep in mind that he would love nothing more than to stay at home all day, every day, in his pajamas and never go anywhere.  I know there will be a period of adjustment for him...as he gets used to not having Allie around every morning and also being gone two mornings a week himself, but I am confident it will be for the best.  I think this is one of those instances in parenting when I need to push him a little bit out of his comfort zone...because goodness knows the last thing we want to raise is a thirty year old who wants nothing more than to stay at home, all day, every day in his pajamas while his momma waits on him hand on foot.  A stretch, I know, but a very legitmate fear indeed.

And..........
Allie just smashed Zach's fingers in the outside screen door.  Lovely. 

There is screaming and pandemonium...excuse me while I assess the situation.

Alright...ice applied...hugs given...mandated quiet time now in effect...

So.....I'd definitely be lying if I said I wasn't looking forward to the two mornings a week where both Allie and Zach will be away at school.  Just keepin' it real, folks....keepin' it real.   

No comments: