Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Zach's First Day of Preschool

Today was a BIG DAY for Zach.
He picked out his Popeye shirt, camo shorts, black socks and light-up shoes to wear.
And, he couldn't wait to put on his new Cars 2 backpack.

After his breakfast of instant oatmeal, applesauce, and milk, we headed out the front door for the obligatory first day of school photos.

Unfortunately, I've been known to take one too many photos...and after a fair amount of snapping, I got the "I've had enough of this, Mom" face...better known around here as the classic-Zach-grump-face.
So, I shifted gears and asked him to show me how excited he was for preschool and this is what I got:


I'd say that's most definitely excitement.

Because of his uncontainable excitement we left a little earlier than necessary.  Ben was able to stay at home this morning with a sick and devastated Allie (sorry, unfortunately a temperature of 103.7 does not qualify as feeling better, babe) and a tired Olivia who was ready for her morning nap.

Zach and I took advantage of the extra time and stopped at the gas station to pick up some eggs, bananas, and...
DONUTS WITH CHOCOLATE AND SPRINKLES!
Needless to say, he was thrilled by his First Day of Preschool Celebratory Donut...complete with chocolate milk.
On the way from the gas station to preschool, Zach wanted to make sure again that this was his very own preschool and not Allie's.  I assured him that indeed it was Zach's preschool.  He was pleased to hear it and I am happy that he will finally have something to claim all his own.  I definitely think he's ready. 

When we got to preschool, Zach hung up his backpack and actually requested a picture by his Green Class door.
The first thing the kids must do upon entering the classroom is find their names to put up on the attendance board.  I thought for sure Zach would need help locating his name, but before I could even offer my help, he had successfully found the little red apple with the Z-A-C-H written on it.
Oh, how I often underestimate you, buddy.  I know you are a lot smarter than you'd like us to think.  You always surprise me by how much that little brain of yours absorbs. 
Zach couldn't wait to play with the Lego table...he had been talking about it ever since he first laid eyes upon it last week.
After the quickest hug and kiss ever, I was out the door while Zach was racing over to the play-doh table.

From what information I was able to extract from him after picking him up from his class, it seems like he had a great first day.  He wasn't too forthcoming, but I did find out that they played outside (and they had a TRACTOR YOU COULD RIDE ON!), worked on some cutting with scissors, had a snack of bananas and chocolate whipped cream (hmmm...not sure about that one, but he seemed excited about it), and he helped the teacher by telling the other kids they needed to clean up when it was time to clean up.  He was also quite disturbed that some of the kids thought the weather was supposed to be rainy tomorrow because he knows it is going to be sunny.  He was also bummed that he didn't get a chance to look at the monster truck book or play in the kitchen, but when I reminded him he gets to go back on Thursday, he said emphatically that he would make sure to play with those things right away on Thursday.

We're so proud of you Zach...of how you are growing and learning each day.  I just know you are going to have a blast in preschool this year!


1 comment:

Kelley @ TheGrantLife.com said...

Wow Jen you sure have been busy! I got teary when they moved my daughter from the infant room to the toddler room in daycare.. I dont know how Ill handle kindergarten! Best of luck to your kiddos. :)