Wednesday, October 19, 2011

A New Stage

I'm not usually a weepy mom.  That probably comes as no surprise to you if you've hung around here for any length of time at all.  When my kids reach new milestones as they grow, I'm usually the first one cheering them on with nary a tear in my eye. 

I haven't ever really been too devastated to say goodbye to certain stages of their childhoods...nostalgic maybe, but not sad.  I feel like, at least in our experience, with each new stage comes something just as special.  Sure, I miss those cute baby leg rolls at times, but let me tell you, I absolutely do not miss changing those exploding diapers!  I reminisce about how cute it was when Allie used to tell everyone her name was "Abbie" because she couldn't enunciate her "L's," but how awesome is it that her little brain is learning how to put all those letters together on paper as she is beginning to read and write? 

Well, I might as well eat my words....

Because, for some reason unbeknownst to me, my brain just cannot wrap itself around the fact that my baby began to crawl yesterday.  I put her down in the hallway, just like I do every morning, with her Little People Farm while I took a shower and the next thing I know, Zach is racing into the bathroom to let me know that Olivia is in his room and she is crawling into his stuff. 

What?!  When did that happen?  I was only in the shower for about 2 minutes!  Sure enough, upon investigation, I observed my baby moving across the floor in a crawling motion (albeit a very hilarious crawling motion as she used her right leg to push her upright body across the floor, but still, she is officially crawling and not rolling). 

I know, I know.  She'll be one year old in ten days so it isn't like I didn't know this was coming, especially since another part of my crazy mom brain was a little concerned that she hadn't reached this milestone yet.  But, knowing that Miss Olivia will most likely be our last babe, I'm actually feeling a bit *sad* (I KNOW?!  CRAZY WEIRD, HUH?!).

Let me clarify....sad, but not sad enough to change the number of children in our household.

Also, today she will bid adieu to nursing...for good.  Happy to have my body completely back to myself after one year and nine months?  YES!  But, seriously, what is happening to me?!  I think I actually might be a  teeny weeny bit sad that I will never nurse another babe again?!  I'm not quite sure what to do with all these strange, new emotions.

I guess as my kids are reaching new stages in their childhoods, I may be reaching a new stage in motherhood.  One where I will never forget how cute it was when the only words Zach could utter were "bop" for ball and "Ming" for Lightening McQueen, but also appreciate how hilarious it is when he comes home from preschool and tells me how his substitute teacher had a "really, really big butt."

I will never tire of watching my children grow and nurturing them in that process.  But today, I think I may allow myself to feel a little bit more nostalgic as I watch my baby race across the floor and slug milk out of her sippy cup.  I also might need to shut our bedroom doors and relocate the baby gate.

2 comments:

MMandJsMom said...

From one MN mom of 3 to another, I know how you feel. I try to celebrate the growing of my kids, but sometimes feel a bit teary over it too. We have been fairly sure our family is complete for 8 years, but I just took the hardware off the wall for the baby gate today (preparing to paint) & just about cried. It seems so final. Happy early birthday to Baby O.

Jen D said...

So glad I'm not alone, MMandJsMom!