Sunday, November 27, 2011

Happy 6th Birthday, Allie!

This year Allie had to share her 6th birthday with Thanksgiving.  Instead of being upset about sharing her special day, she was overflowing with giddy excitement.  For us, celebrating her birthday on Thanksgiving day definitely brought back a lot of great memories because Allie was actually born very early on Thanksgiving morning in 2005. 

My family, who was still living in Wisconsin at the time, had decided to travel to Minnesota to celebrate Thanksgiving with us because I was already 5 days overdue and they didn't want us to be alone on the holiday.  Although we weren't able to be at our table that year to eat Thanksgiving dinner, my family made sure to bring the leftovers so that Ben and I could still enjoy a traditional Thanksgiving dinner at the hospital while they met their brand new grand daughter and niece. 

A lot of that day is still a bit of a blur to me.  I was exhausted and in complete shock as the weight of parental responsibility began to dawn on me while I stared in awe at the beautiful baby girl that had made me a mom.  Despite my body feeling like it had been run over by a Mack truck and there not being a ton of nurses on staff that day to help us figure things out like how to change a diaper and what to do when the baby opened her eyes, that particular Thanksgiving changed our lives forever and I will always remember it as my very favorite. 

We knew that Allie wouldn't be able to wait very long to open her birthday presents on her birthday, so as soon as we arrived to my parents' house on Thanksgiving morning, we gathered around and let her begin. 







She was thrilled beyond belief to receive her very own American Girl doll, Marie-Grace, complete with book and several accessories. 

Since Thursday, Marie-Grace has become a full-fledged member of our family that eats when we eat, brushes her hair each morning, completes art projects with Allie, and follows Allie around wherever she goes.  On Friday, I read the entire "Meet Marie-Grace" book to Allie and she was even more thrilled to discover that Marie Grace loves to sing and attend costume balls.    
After lunch, we brought out the Rapunzel-themed birthday cake, complete with raspberry cream filling (Allie's favorite!):


We had a great time celebrating six years with our Allie!  True to Allie's nature, the day was full of fun and excitement!
I can't believe how fast these six years have gone by, yet I can hardly remember a time without your laughter and love for life.  Happy Birthday, Allie-Babe -- We Love You!

No comments: