Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Just Hanging Out

This morning while the big kids are away at school, Olivia and I have been hanging out:  getting dinner in the crock pot, reading board books, playing with the web cam on my computer, getting lunch made and in the fridge, changing diapers, taking out trash, playing chase, eating applesauce and string cheese snacks....all while enjoying the beautiful sunshine streaming in through the windows. 

Usually I dread January.  Every year I brace myself for the minimal daylight hours often marked by clouds, dreariness, and bitter cold.  After the excitement of the Christmas season, it is often difficult for everyone to readjust back to the normal day-to-day tasks.  However, this year, I'm just NOT feelin' the January blues at all! 

I know it has everything to do with the fact that we have absolutely no snow and almost 50-degree temperatures.  We have been wearing spring jackets.  I've been going on outside runs.  The kids have been playing outside.  I don't think I ever remember a January quite like this before, but you won't hear any complaints out of me! 

Ben arrived safely back from Vegas this past Saturday.  Everyone was thrilled to see him, but his late arrival on Saturday evening made for an extremely short weekend.  I don't think anyone was ready for Monday when it came around. 

I haven't felt too inspired to write lately.  Mostly because we've been busy with school and art projects and board games and homework...on top of all the normal things like laundry and cooking and grocery shopping and cleaning.  We've been getting our spring calendar together, planning time off and some fun spring getaways.  The milder temperatures definitely have us thinking spring is much closer than what it actually is. 

I've had to put myself on somewhat of a sugar-detox plan since January began.  There was way, way, WAY too much dessert through the entire month of December and my body is going through a little bit of shock upon discovering cookies and cake shouldn't be a regular part of my diet.  However, it doesn't help that everywhere I look I see yummy Valentine ideas...like chocolate peanut butter cake with fudge icing and cute heart-shaped brownies with pink and red colored M&Ms.  Thank you, Pinterest, for providing me with an entire board of recipes I want to try, but really shouldn't. 

Well, it is probably about time to end this rather uninspiring post.  Olivia just walked into a wall (obviously we are getting sleepy) and it is almost time to pick up the kids from school.  Tuesday and Thursday mornings, while peaceful, always end much too soon! 

No comments: