Thursday, February 9, 2012

The Week We Brought Home the Plague

It seems we have brought home more than just our painted pottery and stuffed giraffe as souvenirs from our winter getaway to the Kalahari in Wisconsin Dells last week.



(I insert these pictures to remember the good times...in a time of bleak, dark, nasty crud)

We were also lucky enough to come back with the plague from you-know-where that manifested itself on Monday night. 

It all began with Zach tossing his cookies in the car while pulling into the driveway after we returned from Allie's dance class.  I reasoned away the ick by determining Zach must have gotten car sick from the ride home...I mean, he was sitting in the farthest back seat and he was complaining of being hot with his coat on.  Completely rational, right? 

But after he refused to eat anything for dinner and Allie couldn't finish showering because of a bad stomachache, I had a feeling that we were in for a long night.  After approximately 8-10 episodes of cookie tossing, four pillows thrown in the trash, sheets changed 4 times, and almost a half a bottle of Resolve later, the two big kids (and their exhausted parents) were finally down for the night at about 2:30 am.  Thankfully, Olivia and the two of us seemed immune to the nasty for the time being. 

I woke up Tuesday morning, thankful that Ben decided to sleep in and head to work later than usual, anticipating my treadmill run (because after a night like that, I was in need of some serious stress relief), but before I could even change out of my pajamas and into my workout clothes, I was down for the count. 

Thankfully, Ben was able to stay home from work and take care of all four of us...because by the time Olivia woke up, it was apparent she was also suffering from the same nasty as me and I was in no shape to take care of anyone.

Anyway, I don't remember too much about Tuesday...other than frequent trips to the porcelain throne.

Thankfully, by Wednesday, everyone seemed to be on the mend...exhausted, but definitely feeling better.  I kept the big kids home from school, though, to give them an extra day to rest.  By yesterday I was even feeling well enough to catch up on all the laundry and de-nastify the house. 

This morning, I can say that I am officially fully recovered.  Unfortunately, the two big kids woke up...SICK.  Except, now everything is coming out the other end...if you know what I mean.  Apparently, what I thought was one plague manifesting itself in two different locations for different members of our family, is in fact TWO plagues.  Lovely. 

For the record, Ben apparently has superhuman immunity and has remained completely unfazed by all the sickness.  Olivia and I seem to have only caught the southern end of the plague, whereas the big kids have been lucky enough to get it in both hemispheres.  Here's hopin' Olivia and I stay well...I'm not too psyched about the possibility of contracting the plague I haven't been through yet. 

So, it looks like we are in for another day of laying on the couch watching too much Playhouse Disney, PBS, and Sprout while sipping Sprite and eating popsicles and Jello.

1 comment:

Laurie J said...

looks like a fun time.....but hope the fam gets healthy soon!
<3