Tuesday, May 8, 2012

A First Time For Everything

I have found that one of the best parts of being a mom is experiencing new things along with my kids that I would have otherwise missed out on. 

When they were little, I marveled at their first smiles and happily accepted their very first baby kisses.  I pushed them over and over again on their swings and helped them up and down the slide more times than I can count. 

As they got older, I remember being excited for our first adventures outside of our house and beyond the neighborhood park.  I couldn't wait to take them to the zoo and the children's museum:  two places I would probably never frequent if it weren't for my kids.  What used to be a serene hike through the forest morphed into a survival quest as they scoured the ground for hidden treasures to fill their pockets with.  A peaceful summer afternoon lounging by the side of the pool turned into a pirate and mermaid adventure that always ended in my dripping wet hair and mascara running down my cheeks. 

As we've entered the school-aged years, I've been introduced to a whole new genre of foreign experience:  The Class Field Trip.

Today, I accompanied Allie on her very first field trip to a historic working farm along with 40 other very excited kindergartners. 

Upon leaving the school, I recalled Allie's teacher mentioning that this trip would go on, "rain or shine."  As we neared the farm, I realized that she really meant it and by the time we walked off the bus, the "passing shower" that the meteorologist had mentioned on the weather report this morning had turned into a steady downpour.  Without any hesitation, Allie's teacher led us straight through the sheets of rain along the muddy path directly to the horse barn. 

Now, I'm not necessarily a "farm" person to begin with.  So, it goes without saying that I would never, NEVER in a million years take my kid to a farm in a torrential downpour...nevertheless, a torrential downpour that lasted almost the entire morning we were at the farm and that literally soaked us all to the bone.

Despite the rain, we were still able to see all the animals and tour the restored farm home.  The kids got to "help" feed the animals, "make" homemade crackers in the kitchen, and plant some beans in the garden. 

Although we all looked like drowned rats by the end of the morning, the kids (and even the parents) left with smiles on their faces. 

I guess there is always a first time for everything and if it weren't for Allie, I wouldn't be able to say that I know exactly what it is like to spend a morning on the farm in a rain storm. 

1 comment:

Soccerbelle said...

Allie will never forget that you spent this time with her and in the years ahead, when you spend more time looking back rather than ahead, this may become one of your most fond memories - or a good laugh.