Tuesday, September 4, 2012

First Day of First Grade


 Allie could not have been any happier or any more excited upon waking up this morning:  The first day of first grade was finally here!  She downed her bowl of Cookie Crisp, gobbled up her string cheese, stuffed her banana in her mouth, and gulped down her full glass of milk in an effort to make sure to leave on time.  To drop her off, we need to leave here by about 9:00 am.  She was ready to go at approximately 7:45 am. 

Thankfully, Aunt Stephanie called to wish her a happy first school day...which bought us some time.  Then, she helped me pack her lunch and decided to start making a ton of paper fans before it was time to make our way outside for the obligatory first-day-of-school pictures. 








We made it to school on time (shocker, huh?) and we walked her to her classroom where she first hung up her backpack and made her way to her desk. 


We all exchanged hugs and I love yous before Zach, Olivia and I made our way back to the car. 

On the way to our car I didn't have a big ugly cry or anything, but I have to admit, once I started to drive away, I felt a little lump in the back of my throat and I got a little misty eyed.  I was actually kind of shocked to be feeling on the verge of tears.  I wasn't really sad...I mean, how can I be sad when Allie's excitement over school is practically contagious?!  Instead, I think I just needed a little time to process the change that the grade school years bring...to allow myself to feel a little sentimental over the passing of Allie's early childhood.   

I also felt God urging me to remember that as much as I love Allie, He loves her so much more...and as much as I want to wrap my arms around my little girl and never let her go, He is calling me to loosen my grip, trust Him, and place her in His arms instead. 

Zach, Olivia, and I spent the day running some errands and catching up on laundry.  We all definitely missed Allie and were excited to pick her up.  Although pretty tired, Allie said she had a great first day.  She complained that there was way too much time spent sitting and far too many rules, but recess and lunch was great! 

I think we are in for a little bit of adjustment over the next few weeks, but we made it through the first day! 

1 comment:

cambodani said...

She's growing up so much! Can't believe she's in 1st grade already. I remember when I first started reading your blog. :)