Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Columbus Day...According to Allie

As well as I can recall, here is an excerpt from Monday evening's dinner conversation:
~
Me:  "I checked the mail today, but the box was completely empty.  Weird, huh?  On a Monday, completely empty?"
~
Ben:  "I think it's Columbus Day today."
~
Allie:  "Yep.  It is.  We learned about that guy at school today."
~
Zach:  "Who?  What was today?  Why wasn't their mail?"
~
Allie:  "Zach," stated in a very know-it-all big-sisterly manner, "Columbus Day."
~
Zach:  "Huh?"
~
Me:  "Well, Allie, since you learned about Columbus today, tell Zach about him and what he did."
~
Allie:  "Na.  I really don't want to."
~
Ben:  "Come on, Allie.  We want to hear too."
~
Allie:  "But, YOU already know."
~
Me:  "Yep, but we don't know what the teachers taught you."
~
Allie:  "Ok"  She continued, a little hesitant, "But, I think it was something about Indy or Indianas or something....I don't remember?"
~
Me:  "Indians?  Columbus met Indians?"
~
Ben:  "Or India...Columbus was trying to find a new and faster route to India?"
~
Me:  "What?  Are you sure?  I don't remember the whole India thing at all.  But I do remember Indians."
~
Ben:  "Seriously?!"  Shaking his head and laughing in disbelief,  "Jennifer, for real?  What did they even teach you in school?"
~
Allie:  "Ya, Mom..."  Maintaining her scholarly composure, Professor Allie continues to enlighten her poor uneducated mother, "Columbus was trying to find a quicker way to get to India and since there was so much water...because, you know, they had so many oceans back in that time....it was A LOT easier for him to just take a ship than drive a car."
~
Me:  Through bouts of hysteric laughter, I was barely able to respond, "So, let me get this straight...he needed a quicker way to get to India, so because there was ample amount of ocean water, he just hopped in a ship as opposed to a CAR?"
~
Allie:  "Yep."
~
Ben:  "Oh my..."
~
Zach:  "So..."  Looking even more confused than ever, "Why didn't we get any mail?"



No comments: