Sunday, December 9, 2012

Christmas Pizza and Movie Night

Although winter is a slower time for Ben at work, it is also the season of business conferences, classes, and conventions.  While he often has more flexibility with his hours during this time of year, he also has a few more late nights and out of town traveling while he is attending these events. 

We always miss him when he is away and I've realized in the past I've had sort of a crummy attitude about him being gone (especially overnight)....which then rubs off on the kids...and then we all have these crummy attitudes when he is gone, making an already bummer-of-a-situation a million times worse.

So, this year, I've decided to make the best out of his away nights by doing something extraordinarily fun with the kids.  That way, we can focus on the special, fun thing we get to do while Daddy is away instead of spending the time commiserating about his absence.

This Friday night, while Ben was attending an event in Rochester, we had our first ever Christmas movie and pizza night in our pj's!  The kids were excited about it all week long, especially since they knew that they would get to watch multiple movies and eat pizza in the living room. 

To make it even more special, I secured us some Edy's Peppermint Ice Cream (dang...that stuff is HARD to find...it took me THREE grocery stores and 2 Targets before I snagged the very last container at one of the grocery stores) to make us peppermint milkshakes to go with our pizza. 

That afternoon, Zach helped me make some extra special "Grinch" cookies...which were basically drop sugar cookies rolled in red and green sugar.  He is still so very proud of his cookies...he makes sure to tell everyone that they are made by "Zach, the Baker!"

Anyway, by the time 5:00 pm rolled around, the kids were ready and waiting for the fun to begin!




We started with the "Mickey Mouse Christmas Carol" followed by "Santa Paws" and ended with "Polar Express."

After the kids headed to bed (believe me, I was shocked after all that sugary junk they were even able to sleep), I spent the remainder of the night wrapping Christmas presents while catching up on some of the shows on our DVR.  Before I knew it, Ben was home.

I haven't decided yet what we are going to do the next few nights he is going to be away, but if you have any ideas, let me know! 


No comments: