Thursday, February 14, 2013

Valentine's Day 2013

We have been suffering from a severe case of cabin and spring fever over the past few weeks exemplified by a higher volume of sibling squabbles, minor injuries as a result of constant bouncing off of the walls, and incessant inquiries as to when exactly summer will arrive.

Thankfully, the excitement of Valentine's Day celebrations have provided a brief respite to our current ailments. 

Olivia and I began our celebrations early with a Panera lunch yesterday after Bible study.  We couldn't resist sharing a Valentine cookie.  Although, I really didn't get more than one bite.



I always like to put together a little something special for my three favorite little Valentines.  This year, I picked up some mailboxes from the dollar section at Target and filled them with little goodies for each one of the kids. 


Even though everyone was up way past their bedtimes last night (Wednesday is AWANA night), they were all up by 6:30 AM this morning and couldn't wait to open their mailboxes. 




We enjoyed a festive breakfast of pink banana muffins (trust me, they were sort of pink...I tried, at least) and strawberries.  It was especially thrilling when we discovered a strawberry in the perfect shape of a heart!



Allie continued her celebrations at school while Zach, Olivia, and I came home to tackle some housework. 

For dinner, I made Chicken Parmesan and for dessert we enjoyed a special treat that Ben brought home for us all to share.


Olivia demanded we sing "Happy Birthday" and was disappointed that there weren't any candles to blow out.  To appease her, we all sang, substituting "Happy Valentine's Day" for "Happy Birthday." 

Now, my Valentine and I are anxiously awaiting the kids' bedtimes so we can plop our butts on the couch and relax in front of the TV.  Sixteen Valentine's Days together and I can still think of no better way to spend my evening!  Plus, we fully intend on having a second piece of cake.....

No comments: