Thursday, May 2, 2013

Our Bi-Polar Spring Weather

Seriously.  The weather has been NUTS this year.  The kids are so confused about what clothes they should put on each morning (coats??  sandals??  shorts??  jeans??).  Their guess is as good as mine!  Every day seems to be a surprise. 

Let's just take this past week as an example....Here is a picture of our backyard on April 22:

And that was taken at the beginning of another spring snow storm.  We've gotten so many unseasonable snowstorms this spring, I think I've lost count. 

Just three days later, on April 25, we were soaking up the afternoon sunshine on a bike ride around our neighborhood.  Still a little cool, but it felt good to ditch the winter coat for a light weight jacket.


After Allie arrived home from school, we spent the rest of the afternoon digging in the snow piles left over in the backyard.  Allie insisted it was so hot that she couldn't possibly wear anything over her long sleeved shirt. 




The following day, Friday, April 26, we were all convinced spring (and winter, for that matter) would be left behind in favor of summer!


Much to the kids' surprise, I even let them wear shorts!!  (Remember...less than a week ago we were wearing coats, hats, and mittens....)




We spent most of the weekend basking in the 80-degree sunshine while we cleaned up the yard, put out our lawn furniture, swept out the garage, and spent almost every single minute outside.  The kids ate Popsicles.  We grilled every meal (with the exception of breakfast) and even had a campfire complete with hot dogs and smores.  I read a book outside in my makeshift lounger (two chairs that Zach lovingly put together for me) where I got my first sunburn of the season.  We even marvelled at a beautiful double rainbow after a quick passing thunderstorm.  We were fairly certain that winter was O.V.E.R. 





On Monday, we continued our summer celebration with a trip to our favorite ice cream shop.  We were also celebrating Allie's NOT broken arm.  We spent the majority of the morning at the doctor's office after she fell off a swing on Sunday and was up half the night with pain in her arm.  Thankfully, it was just some internal swelling....and after the ice cream, I dare say, she just might have been cured.



On Tuesday, we continued revelling in the arrival of summer, wearing shorts to run our errands:  an oil change, a car wash, and the grocery store.  Zach also had a friend over from school and they spent almost the entire afternoon in the backyard.





Yesterday morning, I broke the news to the kids that another winter storm warning had been issued and snow was imminent.  As we looked out the window and saw the flurries begin, the kids' reluctantly pulled on their socks (even though they tried to convince me that sandals would be just fine) and bundled up in their winter coats...on MAY 1st!!  AAACK! 

The snow continued all morning, but thankfully nothing stuck to the ground.  When I went to bed last night I was fully convinced we would awaken to a half foot of snow. 

Imagine my surprise when I looked out the window this morning and saw.....


As I broke out in joyous strains of the "Hallelujah Chorus," Allie wandered upstairs and reluctantly peered out the window.  Immediately, a smile broke out upon her face as she declared, "GOD ANSWERED MY PRAYER!  I PRAYED LAST NIGHT THAT THE SNOW WOULD MISS US... AND IT DID!" 

Unfortunately, those (like my parents and brother) who live only 45 minutes from our house were not so lucky.....


When Zach saw this picture, he looked at Allie and matter-of-factly stated, "I guess you should have prayed for Grandma and Grandpa too."

According to the forecast, we have another few days of the 40's and by next Monday the 70's should return.  I'll believe it when I see it...the way this spring has gone so far! 

No comments: