Thursday, May 9, 2013

Zoo Outing

Even though it is rainy and cool today, we know that summer is near!  In fact, on Tuesday it was so unbelievably beautiful that I couldn't resist taking Olivia and Zach to Como Park/Zoo for the day.  I was feeling a bit sad that Allie wouldn't be joining us (and I may have momentarily contemplated the idea of allowing her to play hooky from school so that she could come too), but then I remembered that I will be accompanying her class on a field trip to the MN Zoo later this month.  A field trip that Olivia and Zach won't be attending...which according to Zach is completely unfair.  So when Allie declared it was completely unfair that she had to sit at school all day long instead of going to the Zoo, I didn't feel so bad after all. 

We began our visit with a picnic lunch:


Then we made sure to see all the animals.  It was extremely busy for a Tuesday, mostly preschoolers, toddlers, and babies, but my guess is that everyone else in the entire Twin Cities couldn't wait to get out and enjoy the perfect day. 

We stopped for a few photos in between searching for the animals.  Ok...so I guess we stopped for this one photo outside the monkey building.


I thought we would call it a day after we saw all the animals, but Zach was insistent upon seeing the gardens as well.  I'm always amazed at how much the kids like all the plants and flowers!  This visit Zach was especially enamored by the Bonsai Tree exhibit.  We had to stop at each tree to read how old each one was.  The oldest one?  Sixty-some-odd years old. 





Olivia, on the other hand, was way more thrilled with the fish pond.  She wanted desperately to feed them, but alas, we had no fish food and there was a rather large sign indicating feeding the fish was forbidden.  There were a few moments I was concerned she was going to become the fish food if she didn't keep her feet on the ground!



After one last look at the baby pineapple plant, another one of the kids' favorite finds, we made our way to the parking lot.  Again, I was prepared to go home, but Zach surprised me by requesting a ride on the carousel.  He is not one to enjoy rides all that much, in fact he made sure to tell me upon our arrival earlier that morning that he would absolutely NOT be riding the carousel, so I had to clarify if he did indeed want a ride on the carousel, to which he happily responded, "OF COURSE!"

Tickets in hand, we picked out our spots on the carousel.....




That's right...my thrill seeking son chose the bench to sit on...right behind the mom with an infant son.  Olivia and I squished together on a horse she chose because of its purple flowers painted on the saddle.  We all enjoyed the ride and this time, for real, made our way to the car.

It was a fun day and all three kids are anticipating our next visit because the mini amusement park will most likely be open (do not ask me why Zach is excited about this...seeing as he does not like rides...I'm puzzled by this as well) and I was able to snag a great deal on all unlimited ride wristbands.  I actually just may have bought a wristband for myself too!

No comments: