Sunday, June 2, 2013

1st Grade Field Trip

This past Thursday I chaperoned Allie's first grade field trip to the MN Zoo.  Upon arriving to her class that morning and experiencing the shear amount of energy 22 first graders all psyched up to go to the zoo emit, I began to question my ability to survive the day with my own sanity still intact.  


Although rain threatened to ruin the day and there were multiple instances I was sure that I was going to lose one of the boys assigned to us, we stayed completely dry and we all had a great time!




 The stay-at-home dad that joined up with our group also managed to enthrall the kids with all sorts of animal trivia.  I have to admit, I felt a little incompetent when I couldn't even come up with the answer to the primary use of a cheetah's tail.

However, the moment that will stick with these first graders for a lifetime was when the river otter pooped in the water and proceeded to play with his excrement before ultimately grabbing it and shoving it into his mouth.  Unfortunately, I was not quick enough with my camera to capture the moment, but I assure you, it is burned into my memory for life.


After returning home, exhausted and worn out from the day, I had a newfound respect for first grade teachers everywhere.  


And I'm positive when the second grade and kindergarten field trips are announced next year, I'll sign myself up once again.  

No comments: