Saturday, September 14, 2013

O's Big Day

While Allie and Zach started school last week, Olivia observed them enviously hopping out of the car with their backpacks and new tennis shoes as I dropped them off each morning.  Time is such an abstract concept for an almost-three-year-old, and so to Olivia, I'm sure she felt like the day would NEVER come when she would get to grab her Minnie Mouse backpack in the morning and head off to preschool herself. 

When Ben tucked her into bed Monday night before the first day of preschool, he said she was so excited she could barely contain herself.  On Tuesday morning, she literally leapt out of bed declaring, "TODAY IS MY PRESCHOOL!" 

Before we left, I ushered her out of the front door for her obligatory first-day-of-school photos.  And while Zach allowed our white dog to roll in the mud in the back yard, I tried to capture just a little bit of Olivia's contagious excitement:





After containing our dirty dog in his crate (we were running late and I'd resolved to deal with him later), it was off to school for all three!


First stop was Allie and Zach's school and then we made our way to preschool.  Olivia quickly located her backpack hook and cubby:


Even though Olivia just wanted to get inside her classroom, she agreed to a quick picture outside her door:

We finally made it inside where she located her name and placed it in the attendance pocket chart. 



Then, before even giving me a hug and a kiss goodbye, she cozied herself up to one of the girls in her class playing puzzles at a center table.  After a quick "hello" to her teacher, I made sure to snag my hug and kiss before leaving. 

I spent my very first morning kid-free in YEARS at the grocery store.  While it doesn't sound glamorous, let me tell you, after a summer of bringing all three kids with me to the grocery store, Tuesday morning's grocery run was pure bliss.

I returned home to unload the groceries in the rain and to discover my muddy dog had gotten out of his crate (totally my fault...in my rush to get out of the door, I didn't latch the door completely).  So, then, I spent the remainder of my kid-free time putting groceries away and giving the dog a bath. 

When I picked Olivia up, she had a little "moment" where she refused to wait for her name to be called to leave.  She hopped up from circle time as soon as she saw me and started objecting rather loudly when the teacher told her she had to wait for her name to be called:  "NO!  I SAID MY MOMMY IS HERE!"  She stomped right away from the teacher and came running to me where I informed her she had better go sit right back down and listen to her teacher! 

On the way to pick up Zach from kindergarten I got to hear all about her day.  There was snack time and outside time and the teacher read them a book about a bear who went to school.  I also heard about a naughty boy who took all of the food from the kitchen so the girls couldn't cook dinner.  Then, he had the audacity to put the baby in the cooker and Olivia took it upon herself to rescue that baby.  "We don't put babies in cookers, Mom...someone should make sure that naughty boy knows that!"

Olivia is totally in love with preschool.  In fact, there were tears shed on Friday upon realization that preschool only happens twice a week and Friday is not one of those days.

I don't know if it is her younger age (the other two didn't start preschool until they were almost 4) or the fact that she has two older siblings, but it does appear we may struggle a bit more with Olivia's behavior at school.  On Thursday when I picked her up, the teacher took me aside to let me know that Olivia had pulled a boy's hair when he tried to sit on her carpet square.  The teacher was completely shocked.  Her exact words were, "She's just so cute!  I couldn't believe my eyes when she did it!"

When I asked Olivia about it, she simply told me he wouldn't move so she had to pull his hair to make him move.  Lovely.  We had a nice long chat about using our words and asking the teacher to help us instead of hurting others to get our point across.  Thankfully, she knew what she had done was wrong...so here's hoping our chat will make a difference...otherwise we are in for quite the year!


1 comment:

Soccerbelle said...

Oh my goodness! Clearly she knows how to take care of herself.