Monday, September 9, 2013

Weekend Recap

The weekends always go by far too quickly...and this past weekend was no exception. 

The kids were pretty fried after the first week of school (yes, I know it was not a full week, only four days, but they were completely DONE by Friday night...and honestly, I was too!). 

On the way home from school Allie was paging through a dog book her teacher had given her and began commenting on how cute the Jack Russell Terrier was.  Instinctively, I started singing the theme song to "Wishbone."  The kids looked at me like I was completely insane and I knew right then and there that they needed to see Wishbone to gain full appreciation of my amazing childhood theme song recall ability. 

So, Friday night after we ordered pizza for dinner (see?  I told you I was DONE!) we sat in front of the computer while I pulled up episode after episode of "Wishbone" on You-Tube until Ben suggested we plug my computer into the television (we can do that?!) so we didn't all have to gather 'round such a small screen. 

The kids love Wishbone just as much as I remember loving him and I felt like I provided a great educational experience because now they know the plot lines of several timeless literary classics.  Granted, they think the main character in every single classic novel is a Jack Russell Terrier named Wishbone, but that's besides the point. 

Saturday morning we slept in to the ripe hour of 7:00 am.  It was truly amazing.  Then we ordered way discounted Halloween Costumes online (Allie chose the medieval princess and Zach chose the pirate...thankfully Olivia is quite content using Allie's amazing Cinderella dress that now fits her) because when you can snag two costumes cheaper than you can even purchase one in the store, you take advantage of that deal ASAP. 

Then, it was time to take this little guy home:

Oh...and before I forget...and because I'm too lazy to go back and edit this post so the events occur in chronological order (and because I have to leave in 15 minutes to go pick Allie up from school), here are a few pictures of Zach and Olivia at our local auto shop's open house on Friday. 



With a free bounce house, free cotton candy, free chocolate chip cookies, free crafts (beaded necklaces, key chains, and notebooks), free drinks, and a free raffle, Zach declared the event to be even better than the State Fair. Apparently, it does not take much to impress my son.  Unfortunately, it was over 90-degrees outside on Friday and by the time I had walked to and from the auto shop pulling both kids in the wagon, I thought for sure I was going to melt into a puddle on our driveway. 

Back to Saturday.

After dropping Fred off (he was EXTREMELY excited to finally be home), we stopped in Stillwater for lunch.








It was a good thing that chocolate peanut butter shake was delicious because it will be the last one I have in like...FOREVER.  I stepped on the scale for the first time since the beginning of the summer this morning...and let's just say, summer treats have not been kind to me.  I definitely have some work ahead of me this Fall....

After lunch, we headed up the street to the candy shop to purchase Salt Water Taffy for homework bribes treats.  Then the kids saw these awesome minion shirts, and well, we gave in....


Saturday afternoon we cleaned.  Is that exciting, or what?!

Sunday was a flurry of church and mowing the lawn and catching up on laundry and making sure the kids were ready again for school on Monday.  Then, the Packers lost...so the boys in our household were pretty bummed. 

Ben and I spent Sunday evening laying out the possible half-bath addition in the basement....actually this is the pretty exciting stuff!  It looks like we may not be a family with 1 toilet for too much longer!  Yipppeeee! 

Now, it is about time for me to wake up Olivia...amazingly she is taking a nap today for the first time since last Wednesday.  Unfortunately, we have been trying almost daily to get her to take a nap to no avail.  And, let me tell you, when Olivia refuses to nap, we all pay for it dearly. 

Then, to pick up Allie....Then to whip up dinner....Then to take the big kids to their first piano lessons this evening.  Definitely a busy start to what is shaping up to be a busy week! 

No comments: