Monday, January 6, 2014

Snow Day!

Snow Days here in Minnesota are almost unheard of.  We pride ourselves in our ability to brave the elements (well, some of us do...I just wrap up in as many layers as possible, try to hide my chattering teeth, and refrain from breathing too deeply outside for fear that my lungs may actually freeze solid).  So, imagine my delight and surprise when I discovered last Friday that the governor of Minnesota  cancelled all public schools on Monday in anticipation of the impending Arctic freeze.  Yahoo!  Unexpected 3-day weekend!

-21 degrees with a windchill of -48 degrees is what we woke up to this morning.  When the alarm went off this morning (because, as Ben reminded me repeatedly this weekend, they don't really give you Snow Days at work), all I wanted to do was bury myself back in the covers.  Plus, we stayed up waaayyy too late watching the Downton Abbey season 4 premier (love the DVR...don't love so much that we decided not to begin watching the 2-hour premier until almost 9:00 pm...and of course we couldn't just watch part of it) and 5:00 am felt far too early.  But, the treadmill was calling my name (especially after the Pizza Ranch outing yesterday for lunch) and I powered on. 

When the kids awoke this morning I reminded them of our Snow Day tradition (you know...the tradition we started that one Snow Day that was maybe 2 years ago...) of eating breakfast in the living room while watching cartoons. Nobody had any objections....so here we are....



I'm not quite sure what the rest of the day holds, but I plan on going nowhere.  The only time I even anticipate having to venture outside is to take Finn out to do his business...and our pokey dog better be quick about it!

In other news, Olivia had her 3-year check up on Friday....



It was quite the ordeal with the pediatrician running late, so Olivia kept herself occupied "reading" to herself. 

This weekend was pretty low-key.  We spent most of our time inside keeping warm: catching up on laundry and housework, playing lots of Wii together, watching the Packers game, learning how to finger knit (Allie taught me and we both made matching scarves!), and singing songs from Frozen.

Speaking of frozen, my toes are starting to feel like they are headed in that direction...now, the choice to make:  whether to wear my slippers or snow boots?! 

No comments: