Sunday, December 21, 2014

Halloween 2014 Recap

Halloween was right in the middle of a lot of sickness for our family!  I believe we were experiencing a brief respite from all of the fevers, runny noses, coughing, rashes, and pink eye that plagued our family this Fall.  Thankfully, even though we've had our fair share of illness around here (Zach is currently at Urgent Care with Ben as I type this for possible strep), we have never all been sick at once and we've only missed minimal fun activities. 

This year, I participated in all three kids' Halloween parties!  The day began with Olivia's preschool party and parade:

Olivia was the cutest Princess Anna I've ever seen...mostly thanks to my mom's amazing sewing skills!

The preschool kids paraded around the school to show off their costumes to the bigger kids that attend grade/middle school there.

All the cuties in Olivia's preschool class!

After Olivia's party, I hopped in the car and drove up the street to help out with Zach's classroom party.  Instead of costumes, the kids in Zach's class all painted Halloween t-shirts to wear.  Zach's teacher had several stations planned for the party complete with Halloween themed crafts, snacks, pumpkin painting, and even pumpkin bowling.  All the kids had a blast and it was fun to be able to help out!





I helped organize Allie's classroom party that took place in the afternoon.  We had several "Minute-to-Win-It" style party games and rotated the kids through stations in the classroom before enjoying ice cream sundaes with apple cider.  I wish I would have taken more pictures, but I was pretty busy facilitating the TP mummy-wrap station.  We had one game we played with all the kids where they had to place an Oreo on their foreheads and slide them down their face into their mouths.  Amazingly, 2 kids were successful!  Allie was not one of them.


After school, the kids frantically put on their costumes so we could make it to the neighborhood Halloween party before trick-or-treat.  I think the kids actually enjoyed the party even more than trick-or-treating (mostly because it was sooo cold outside!).  At the party, the kids could barely eat dinner because there were so many fun games to be played...and there was a piñata! 






My mom made both girls' costumes...aren't they AMAZING?!


Zach really isn't into the dress-up part of Halloween.  But, since he is into the candy part of it, he managed to wear his Jedi Knight outfit from last year without too many complaints. 

Olivia only lasted for about 7 houses of trick or treating before she came home and helped me hand out candy.  I think she secretly liked that every time she answered the door, the kids on the other side declared how cute she was and how amazing her costume was. 

Zach and Allie returned home a while later and while Zach stayed home to count and devour his candy, Allie and I decided to go down the street and help our neighbor pass out candy so she could attend to her newborn baby since her husband had to stay late at work that evening. 


At the end of the day, I was wiped.  It was a fun day, but I felt partied out when it was all said and done.   And, now that my memory is sufficiently jogged, I did come down with the plague the day after.  A few more highlights of Halloween day:

I couldn't NOT try on the Elsa wig.  And, then I took a selfie and texted it to Ben in the middle of the day to which he responded, "Good look on you!" 


Why, yes, we are those type of people that have a costume for our dog.  Finn officially hated it.  He literally would not walk while wearing his costume.

 

No comments: